HQJohn Pond draining question

Reaction score
Sorry for changing the subject and dont wanna start a new threat for one question. Can i drain and clean the pond, but keep the filter alone with water in it do i have to go through the water cycle again?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Re: Sticky Doc Bio Filter

This can be done, you will still go through some cycling but in most cases it's almost unnoticable, However, The filter needs to be kept running during the process, you can't turn it off do everything refill the pond and expect this, the bio will die off, in just a few hours, also cleaning the whole pond and starting the pond over you will not want to have a heavy fish load. You will need to declorinate the water and allow for ALL the chlorine/chlormine to break down before you start running the water back through the filter.
In my opinion, I would do a few large water changes and vacumn as much as possible off the bottom as you can each time, this will allow you to keep everything running, won't kill off the bacteria growing on the walls and such and still keep the pond running during the cleaning porcess.

Reaction score

How bout leave about a foot back to keep the pump running so i can see the bottom to vacuum? I'm gonna fill it back with wells water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a

Need to start another thread, with more details, how big is the pond,? fish? Why do you want to change out that much? I'll be happy to try and help answer your questions but lets leave this as the Doc filter thread.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score

I have kept a good bacterial colony in filter for a full afternoon ..i had an airstone or two in the bottom of the filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

HQJohn said:
How bout leave about a foot back to keep the pump running so i can see the bottom to vacuum? I'm gonna fill it back with wells water.

do you know the ph of your well water? mine is around 5.5, so be careful, If I did that my fish would all die.

From what I have read the bacteria last around 5 hours, with a airstone in the filter you are adding o2 which is what it needs to stay alive.

Like fishin says, would be best if you do not totally drain. Also don't scrub the sides of the good algae, that is part of your bio filter.

Ask a Question