Hummingbird rescue this morning

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We had a "cold snap" last night -- down into the 50's. This morning I found a hummer on the ground, under one of the feeders. I took it inside to warm up and gave it some slightly diluted hummer food from a syringe. It took it a couple of hours to show a desire to be free -- I knew it was OK when it flew around the bathroom, LOL! When I finally turned it loose, was giving it full strength food, and it sat in my hand to feed. So sweet and never acted afraid of me. Ruby Throated little friend!
IMG_7960.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I read that sometimes they will go into a state of "torpor," I think it was. You can even find them hooked onto a feeder, but almost frozen. If it isn't deadly cold, I guess they just wait to warm up and fly away! They are such neat creatures! We have a humongous garden spider web that extends from one side of the dry creek to the other. (I know I'm going to forget it's there and walk right through it with my face.) Anyway, I was looking out the window when a hummer flew right up to it, hovered up and down, checking it out -- then flew up and over. Very cool!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don't talk about spider webs the other day while mowing I ran into a huge one that ran from tree to tree .Boy was that gross all over my face and arms and legs

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder if it was the cooler weather or something else. They can typically deal with cooler nights (They get here in April when we still have nights in the 30s). Wouldn't be surprised if cooler weather did have an effect like that, though. Always neat to see close up.

My Mexican Sunflowers have been extremely busy with both Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and Monarchs, both which are migrating south, ditching me for warmer weather while I'm stuck up here in the cold. I'm only slightly bitter, I swear.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think humming birds, are one of the most intricately created birds on the planet. If you research about them, there colors go way in depth, so do their feathers, eyes, beak, everything is extraordinarily spot on precision.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wonder if it was the cooler weather or something else. They can typically deal with cooler nights (They get here in April when we still have nights in the 30s). Wouldn't be surprised if cooler weather did have an effect like that, though. Always neat to see close up.

My Mexican Sunflowers have been extremely busy with both Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and Monarchs, both which are migrating south, ditching me for warmer weather while I'm stuck up here in the cold. I'm only slightly bitter, I swear.
I think it was a cold snap. We went from 80's during the day to suddenly 50's the other night.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think humming birds, are one of the most intricately created birds on the planet. If you research about them, there colors go way in depth, so do their feathers, eyes, beak, everything is extraordinarily spot on precision.

I'm jealous of the southwest. They have all sorts of hummingbird species. I love the Ruby-throated, but there are so many other cool ones, and they all live in California and surrounding areas.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my yard... ok well in my Front yard. We have about 6 Hummingbirds (I think they are male/female couples lol) that go around sipping on all the flowers. Sound like mini helicopters, they always scare me because I think they are horseflies lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Humming birds come around here for just a few months in general. It's too cold for them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Humming birds come around here for just a few months in general. It's too cold for them.

We have them in April, May, June, July, August, September. Usually don't see them any earlier or later than that, but I'm sure there are always a few that arrive early or leave late. There's a great website that tracks their migration in spring based on sightings, can't remember what it is right now.

Ask a Question