Hundreds of snails

Reaction score
We had to replace our little shallow plastic pond last year after it started leaking and ended up with a much deeper one.

We’ve added a layer of pebbles at the bottom and have a lily and some oxygenating plants in there.

No fish but a few frogs as well as a new addition (or at least first time I’ve noticed them) hundreds of water snails. There’s tons of them and loads of tiny new ones by the look of it. It’s hard to see into this pond compared to my old one as it’s deeper and darker but it looks like hundreds of babies in there.

Are these a help or hindrance? I’ve also noticed some clear slugs on the underside of lily leaves as I’ve cleared them. I don’t remember seeing these before either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd be more worried about the slugs than the snails - they may devour your lily pads.

Every now and again we see a billion snails in our pond and then within a day or two they're all gone. I don't know if they all just move out, or if they get eaten or what. But it's "here today, gone tomorrow" !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I have slugs this year for the first time, and I do think that they are eating my lilies. Is there anything I can do besides painstakingly hunting them down? They are funny looking slugs...skinny and almost black in colour. About half an inch long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
oops, sorry...I realize that I just sort of hi-jacked the original thread. Please ignore.

Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the slugs than the snails - they may devour your lily pads.

Every now and again we see a billion snails in our pond and then within a day or two they're all gone. I don't know if they all just move out, or if they get eaten or what. But it's "here today, gone tomorrow" !
I’m glad you said that, makes me worry less! I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it. Food for the frogs maybe??

As for the clear slugs, they creep me out a bit honestly as they look like leeches so I have been removing them.

Reaction score
I have slugs this year for the first time, and I do think that they are eating my lilies. Is there anything I can do besides painstakingly hunting them down? They are funny looking slugs...skinny and almost black in colour. About half an inch long.
Ours are clear which is really weird!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
ugh! That's exactly what they are---leeches. Oh, now I'm really grossed out. I haven't ever had them before. Will they ruin my lilies? I don't have fish, but I certainly don't want these ugly things to suck the life out of my lilies. Anyone able to advise. (once again--sorry to Jeffina for going off-topic).

Ask a Question