Hungry heron?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by mogsie, Nov 7, 2018.

1. mogsie

mogsie

Just had a phone call from a good friend to say the heron has cleaned his pond out early hours this morning, he says there was 23 fish yesterday, 5 large goldfish 5 small fish and the rest were medium sized, now he says he can only find 1 small fish left, would the heron be able to consume so much in one sitting?

mogsie, Nov 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. mogsie

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

Some of them may be hiding. They can get scared after an attack. I lost a lot of fish over the years to heron and bobcat(s).

He needs to net his pond. I used to cover my pond with a flat wooden frame that was wrapped in bird netting but I found that the wood rotted over time so I switched over to PVC pipes. Finally I bought a small metal greenhouse frame from Amazon and put that over the pond and wrapped that with netting.

JohnHuff, Nov 7, 2018
    Mmathis and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. mogsie

RobAmy

They can consume many fish during one sitting. I agree that a few may be hiding. When the heron comes by here I can't find any of my fish at all for many hours. Then they slowly get back to normal. Hopefully a few are left.

RobAmy, Nov 7, 2018
    JohnHuff and Mmathis like this.
  4. mogsie

mogsie

yes you are correct, i was at his house earlier and we managed to find 8 that were hiding. he has now covered with chicken wire until he gets something more aesthetically pleasing. and it was stood right beside his heron decoy , which obviously doesnt work, infact i believe that using a plastic heron as a deterrant is more detrimental to the situation, just like humans the more the fish see humans the lass they percieve them as a threat, well i think the same applies to plastic herons, so when a real one does come along the fish will not at first see it as a threat.

mogsie, Nov 7, 2018
    Mmathis, Tara and saugeye tom like this.
  5. mogsie

anitapond

@JohnHuff - would love to see how or a detailed description of how you built the cover with the greenhouse frame. I've been wanting to make a cover like that, but have no idea how. Thanks!

anitapond, Nov 7, 2018
  6. mogsie

saugeye tom

put a few stakes around your pond. Run 20 lb test fishing line at 6 inches 1 foot and 2 1/2 feet. they will not cross the line. i done this for 2 years,,,,took it down this year,,,,they stopped coming. if they come back,,,ill hang again

saugeye tom, Nov 7, 2018
  7. mogsie

mogsie

It wasn't my pond it was a friends, i have fishing line round my pond and i even have a fishing line net 8ft high over the garden to prevent it even getting in.

mogsie, Nov 8, 2018
    j.w and saugeye tom like this.
  8. mogsie

Relic

I've had herons clean out the pond of each and every goldfish - adults & young. The only survivor was the large single Koi. Eventually a Japanese Maple grew large enough to form a canopy over the pond and hide it from fly-over marauders. I also added a couple of hiding places: a large inverted plastic tub with openings in it, and a large flagstone on top to weigh it down. I also added a milk-crate with a large potted pickerel plant on top to provide an easy hide for the smaller fish. So far, so good...(Yes, the maple leaves are a bother each autumn.)

Relic, Nov 8, 2018
    j.w and saugeye tom like this.
  9. mogsie

Too dark to take a photo now but I just bought something like this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KJJSCY except that mine was shorter, only 2 segments, and wrapped it all around with bird netting. I used zip ties. Then I used PVC pipes to fashion 2 door frames for the front so I can walk in.

JohnHuff, Nov 10, 2018
    j.w likes this.
  10. mogsie

Interestingly, this sorta has the opposite effect for me. The more I see my mother-in-law, the more I perceive her as a threat.

JohnHuff, Nov 10, 2018
    mogsie, gliebig and j.w like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question