Hurricane Coming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I woke up this morning with a phone call from my daughter saying the Hurricane has shifted more towards us. Great! Just Great! People are going to go nuts now.

I hate having to be move all the stuff outside in. Hate the boarding up of windows. Hate no electricity. Hate having to turn off pump to pond.

I am thinking of the other ponders in the Hurricane area. How are you all doing?

Hoping for light breezes and a little rain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is from a different forum, where they are in the path of the hurricane:

If you’re in the path of Isaac, you need to do a few things before the storm gets to you.

This is a time when it’s imperative that you are not overstocked.

Do a 50% water change, clean your filters and make sure there is no debris in the bottom of the pond.

Have a bag of blue water softener salt on hand for stress or if you’re without power for a while and the Nitrite level goes up.

Have a bottle of ammonia blocker on hand.

Have a good test kit.

Have enough baking soda on hand to keep your pH up due to the huge amount of rain that comes with a storm.

Move all debris that can blow into your pond and rip the liner.

If you have a generator, keep it handy to plug your pumps into if you have power outages.

As soon as the storm passes, be careful of stray power, check to see if pumps are running, remove debris including leaves and other organic matter that can lower water quality, test water and do a water change as soon as possible. If you don’t have power for a few days or if you’re overstocked, test the water daily and add ammonia blocker, baking soda and/or salt as needed.

And do not feed the fish. They can survive just fine without food until the system is stable once again. Overloading the filters will only make things worse.

Reaction score
Good info to have on a check list.

It is so rare for us to get a real hurricane up here, but even a healthy looking tropical storm or nor easter, everyone is coming in! and unlike when Hurricane Bob hit us we didnt have a generator then.. Do now! I cant imagine the stress of having 'outside pets' in the normal hurricane paths.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, ADDY, I was just wondering about how people would prep for a hurricane. In my part of LA, we're more likely to get the human & animal evacuees from the southern part of the state, and sometimes a little rain& wind -- but until now, never considered the ponds. I do remember that during RITA & KATRINA, the zoos & aquariums took a big hit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Addy1. That info is so very helpful. Most of it I had no idea about. Especially the part I will need if the power is off for a while.

Just finished stocking up the pantry. I tend to buy way too much junk food for hurricanes.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not my words, but a great koi keeper on a different forum. She got hit with katrina and is preparing for issac.

Glad I could share

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I already have tons of leaves in the deck ponds and Isaac is pointed straight at us. It will make a mess for sure. We are about 50 miles from the gulf, so storm surge shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully we'll only have some branches down and a few days without power. We do have a generator which can keep the refrigerator cold and a window A.C. for sleeping. The taro that Larkin gave us last year won't look so good in a couple of days. Here's a before Pic.

Attachments

• 8-27-12 002.JPG
    8-27-12 002.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 245

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good luck to you hope all turns out ok for you and everybody else down there.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Good luck. I plan on getting a whole house generator in the future for my house. We can have some pretty nasty ice storms up here during the winter. I can handle being hot, but once your cold, its hard to get warmed up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just hope the storm peters out and is not so bad for all in the way of it .GOOD LUCK .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gary, the chartreuse Mojito taro is doing GREAT! Hope it doesn't get to badly torn up, But at least it will come back. We have been getting ready all day. cut several problem limbs, got all the hanging plants, lawn furniture, and things that could blow around picked up. going to make a run to the dump in the morning before the weather starts deteriorating. Cleaned out all the culverts and drainage ditches this evening. Got water, gas, can food, plenty of charcoal and lighter fluid, batteries, and even started and filled up the generator and changed the oil, bumped up the ponds with baking soda today and got the leaf net put across the new pond. getting about as prepared as I can. This could actually be the worst storm I have ever ridden out. I think it's going to get pretty bad and I really want to be here in case it does and I need to do something.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
That's the reason I stay. If I'm gone, a small problem could become a large one, and if it gets really bad the authorities might not let anyone back in for a week or so. A refrigerator without electricity for a week would be a mess. Not to mention a leaking roof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
good luck fishin4cars and minnowman. Lafayette looks like we may not get the worst of it. You all stay safe.

Ask a Question