Hyacinth and Plecos

Reaction score
This is the first year I have anything that needs winter care. I thought my 2 Plecos were done for because I couldn't catch them, but they got cold and slow do I DID get them. I have a big aquarium that used to be a lizard home, so I have put a lot of Hyacinth in it with the plecos and it is next to a window. I'll see how this works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep! Just caught my 8" Pleco and put him inside in a 20 gallon by himself with a drift wood log. My hyacinth and Watter Lettuce will be going in a 10 gallon tank in the florida room where it's nothing but windows! I have a small 40-50gph fountain pump, I wonder if I need to put that in the 10 gallon with the plants to keep circulation?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I tried putting my WH indoors into my aquarium last year. I think they lasted all winter but the leaves were faded and when we put them back into the pond in Spring, they failed to thrive and we put them into the compost. I think the problem was that the light wasn't strong enough.

Reaction score
I put the aquarium in our sunniest window, I'm thinking the Hyacinth will keep the water clean with only 2 small Plecos in it. That is all I'm hoping for, if the Hyacinth doesn't make it till Spring, no big loss.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
agapanthus said:
I put the aquarium in our sunniest window, I'm thinking the Hyacinth will keep the water clean with only 2 small Plecos in it. That is all I'm hoping for, if the Hyacinth doesn't make it till Spring, no big loss.
I'm thinking that it might work. Dunno how strong your sun is, but here in rainy Seattle, the "Sun" is just a fable until March. A friend of mine who moved here in September didn't see the Sun until 6 months later!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jason said:
Yep! Just caught my 8" Pleco and put him inside in a 20 gallon by himself with a drift wood log. My hyacinth and Watter Lettuce will be going in a 10 gallon tank in the florida room where it's nothing but windows! I have a small 40-50gph fountain pump, I wonder if I need to put that in the 10 gallon with the plants to keep circulation?
Neither of those plants needs circulation to survive but it wouldn't hurt (every summer I pull extras from my pond and just put them in a large container without and filters/pumps and leave them there until the end of the season and they do just fine)

Reaction score
Country
United States
agapanthus said:
This is the first year I have anything that needs winter care. I thought my 2 Plecos were done for because I couldn't catch them, but they got cold and slow do I DID get them. I have a big aquarium that used to be a lizard home, so I have put a lot of Hyacinth in it with the plecos and it is next to a window. I'll see how this works.
glad you were able to catch them :cool: you should put a piece of driftwood in the tank for them as well. I'm interested to see how the hyacinth does for you indoors.

keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In southwest Oregon we get days of freezing, and usually some snow each winter. I have hyacinths and canna and some lilypads. What should I be doing and when-- to prepare for the really cold days? (I just ordered a thermometer!) I have a pond that is 16'X8'X 19" with two deeper areas about 2' diameter, and a center island in the larger pool that contains the fountain. There is a pump and pre filter. I only have about 10 Reds and one 5" goldfish. (My Pleco died.) I would love any advice you can give.....Thanks all!

Reaction score
So for an update. The hyacinth so far looks great, but I am going to get a grow light to help them. They are in my sunniest window, but that doesn't happen every day! My 2 plecos are looking bigger already, and I went kind of wild and got some more tropical fish. 5 Tetras, 4 mollies and 2 gouramis. I have a solar powered air bubbler and I'm hoping the grow light will keep that going too. This is all in a 40 gallon tank and I am experimenting to see if I can get by with no filter except the hyacinth.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I bought a tiny bristlenose pleco last weekend for our indoor tank. He was just soooo cute we had to get him. Only about 1.5 inches long. But after we bought him, he hid and we haven't seen him since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lucky you that you were able to catch your pleco. I still couldnt catch my 3 small catfish (1.5 inches) and they are probably going to die, have not seen them.

The water lettuces I put in my 12 gallon are doing great and branching out, I have the fish tank light thing. I kept my tank about 75 F since I'm bring my tropical fish back to the pond next summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
JohnHuff said:
I bought a tiny bristlenose pleco last weekend for our indoor tank. He was just soooo cute we had to get him. Only about 1.5 inches long. But after we bought him, he hid and we haven't seen him since.
I have "lost" young bn's too. I have found that they do much better for me if I put them in a small tank until they have a chance to grow before putting them into a larger tank.

They do like to hide so maybe check under any ornaments you may have in your tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
agapanthus said:
So for an update. The hyacinth so far looks great, but I am going to get a grow light to help them. They are in my sunniest window, but that doesn't happen every day! My 2 plecos are looking bigger already, and I went kind of wild and got some more tropical fish. 5 Tetras, 4 mollies and 2 gouramis. I have a solar powered air bubbler and I'm hoping the grow light will keep that going too. This is all in a 40 gallon tank and I am experimenting to see if I can get by with no filter except the hyacinth.
Should be interesting to see how this works for you. Will you be testing your water for ammonia and such frequently?

Don't forget the plecos are poop machines. You may have to do frequent water changes ;)

Ask a Question