Hyacinth flowers ???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
just curious, we bought some hyacinth this year and put in the pond and we have had 2 flower. my question is is it normal for the flower to only last 1 day. also how often do they normally bloom. here was the first one

Attachments

• flower.JPG
    flower.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 172
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
1-2 days that's it if they do bloom i've only seen them 1 time in 4 years i tried them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
wow, that makes me feel good. we have had 2 bloom :) I was experimenting with them and put one in a pot I have sunk in the bog to allow it to fill with water, I put one in it and it bloomed, it's funny because it was a small plant and it bloomed a tiny flower

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine did,'t bloom this year cause I bought them too late in the season, but usually once they start to bloom they just don't stop until the nights start to get colder
I don't know how long a single bloom lasts, it's hard to notice when one dies and a new one has already taken its place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
Oh my, that must be beautiful to see them steady blooming. our fishies pretty much destroyed most of ours but I have been saving them and moving them to areas they can't get to them in hopes to have a nice batch next year
at first they were spreading but now not so much
wish I could say that about the water lettuce :eek: that stuff spreads like wild fire, even the babies throw off new ones
the fish love it though as it creates nice shade and they like to eat on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
just curious, we bought some hyacinth this year and put in the pond and we have had 2 flower. my question is is it normal for the flower to only last 1 day. also how often do they normally bloom. here was the first one

The flowers do only last a day. My plants bloom on a daily basis. Here is the trick.

The plants propagate in two different ways. When they have room they make new plants by sending out runners and making a new plant. They rarely flower at this time. The plants would rather make copies of themselves than flower.

When there is no more room for them to spread the normal way then they will flower constantly. The flower has seeds that the wind will catch & hopefully find a new place to make plants. The flowers are actually a secondary way for the plants to propagate.

Here are a couple of pics showing what I mean. I need to fix the liner on the top.. lol I built a 3 x 6 foot upper pond for a plant filter. It drains into the lower pond. The plants sure do love it.

20170923_121105[1].jpg

20170923_121115[1].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
Wow very nice, well now that explains why the 2 that bloomed did so. both were sort of hemmed in so to speak
well I know now what I'm going to do to mine this weekend. Thanks for that tip

Ask a Question