Hyacinths dying help me try to understand

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by PmRg, Nov 27, 2012.

1. PmRg

PmRg

Hi there, sorry for the noob question but my hyacinths are not looking good since I redone my pond.

So on my previous pond I had lots of hyacinths very green, but now since I redone my pond and installed a new filter they are looking quite bad I dont know if there is some element missing from the water? what do you all think ???

[​IMG]

Bare in mind that my lilies are looking are looking good. (I have a laguna stick in the pot tough)

Thanks,
    Pedro

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. PmRg

Ruben Miranda I am so confused

Hello
    Well it could be
    1. Temperature As plants go dormant in Winter Floating plants feel the affects more/quicker because they are out in the elements.
    2. Nitrates New pond no to little food for them so they are dieing back

When you put them back in did they have a lot of roots ?

Not a expert but I would recommend taking the dead ones out and not let them pot and pollute the pond.
    There looks to be a couple that are still green
    To save those (If you can move them to a bucket with water and a grow light inside and put them back in the pond when the winter warms up.

Ruben

Ruben Miranda, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. PmRg

sissy sissy

take them out and put them in a tub of water with fertilizer and if you have a place to store them for winter or just revive them .

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  4. PmRg

PmRg

Thanks for the info everyone, I think temperature is not a factor here since the normal temperature on my location this time of the year is 16-20c maybe is the lack of nutrients?! hummm

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  5. PmRg

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Try the tub with fertilizer. It may take a while, but if it's a nutrient issue, bet that will help since you are using a new filter set-up,

Mmathis, Nov 27, 2012
  6. PmRg

sissy sissy

I take mine out every couple of weeks and give them a good miracle grow fertilizer bath and leave them a couple of days and then they go back ij the pond .Never enough nutrients for them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  7. PmRg

PmRg

ok thanks,

I will have a hard time finding fertiliser for them, can you give me the purpose of that "miracle grow fertiliser" used on? a picture would be nice :)

Also Can anyone post a picture of the clay used for lilies and marginal plants, I believe I can find it over here but with other purpose.

I say this just because maybe where you all live there are garden centers around that sell aquatic compost or aquatic clay... which is very nice, but over here there are nothing for "aquatic use" :( so if I see a picture of the actual product I can try and spot a similar one.

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  8. PmRg

sissy sissy

We use 100 % clay kitty litter

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  9. PmRg

Waterbug

I'd bet the fish are nibbling the roots. I could never grow WH but when I moved one of the half dead plants to a separate tank the plant took off. Also, I've read this same issue many times in ponds but have never heard of the problem when WH were in a veggie filter away from fish.

Waterbug, Nov 27, 2012
  10. PmRg

sissy sissy

miracle grow but any all purpose food will work but this is the brand most use here .

Attached Files:

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  11. PmRg

PmRg

ohhhhh used for kittys ok ok that makes it much easier!!!! Will go to the local hardware shop that sells this during the weekend and check.

[​IMG]

This is good for all the plants?

thanks a lot for the info.

Regards,
    Pedro

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  12. PmRg

HARO Pondcrastinator

If you are taking the plants out of the pond to fertilize them, any general purpose fertilizer will work. Try to find one with 'chelated iron' among the ingredients. You mention that you use Laguna sticks in your lillies; Laguna also sells a liquid fertilizer ( item # PT866 ) that would be ideal for your situation. You can even add it to the pond, but of course you will need more!
    John
    P.s.; Make sure the kitty litter has NO PERFUME in it!!

HARO, Nov 27, 2012
  13. PmRg

PmRg

Ok will also look for that, I see some measures there 1 tea spoon for.... what dose do you use normally ?

thanks again for the replies :)

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  14. PmRg

sissy sissy

Yep great but make sure it has no scents or additives .100% pure cheap stuff .I plant then soak it in water before it goes in the pond so I do not get a cloud of white .Cloud is good for the pond but does not look so good for a couple of days

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  15. PmRg

sissy sissy

I tried that fertilizer one time Haro and think all i fed was the algae and boy what a bloom it was and that was the last time 4 years ago .

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  16. PmRg

PmRg

cheers for the info, ok I def. look into the fertilisers with 'chelated iron', also I recently bought http://www.tetra-service.net/tetra/...seite=6&group_id=1112&group_2_id=23&lang_id=2 this should work a bit as well :) but will def. look into the fertilisation off the pond for the floating plants.

I think it's the extremely clean pond that is causing the lack of nutrients I'm saying this because before this the pond was quite dirty with a very undersized filter system and we didn't like the looks of it, so in September I installed a OASE filter system with auto cleaning and it even came with a bottle of bacteria to start the filter, no complains about it it's an amazing filter I started the pond from scratch and there is no algae at all well just the normal bit of algae...

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  17. PmRg

PmRg

might be that as well, but I had the exact same fish on my last setup and the plants were all fine, still might to some sort of floating pot with a net to maintain water lettuce :p since water lettuce was the one I never ever could maintain because my koi fish eat it all ahha

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  18. PmRg

sissy sissy

I keep water plants in my filters with no problems but learned the hard way and sure don't want anyone to learn that way .It was the scariest couple of weeks i had after putting that liquid stuff in my pond and then trying to get rid of all that algae and that took almost 3 months to get it under control .It is great for on the side fertilizing but miracle grow is lots cheaper than the so called pond fertilizers .I go the cheap side . :razz:

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
  19. PmRg

PmRg

Now Im hoping I can find those 2 things around here... ahahah will def. let you all know on Sunday, might be getting some new marginal plants as well so the clay would be so nice to plant them. :)

PmRg, Nov 27, 2012
  20. PmRg

sissy sissy

[​IMG]
    I used pool noodles but you could use something black .I used cheap left over window screening to keep the fish away .The fiberglass kind of screening
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sissy, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question