Hyacinths dying help me try to understand

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry for the noob question but my hyacinths are not looking good since I redone my pond.

So on my previous pond I had lots of hyacinths very green, but now since I redone my pond and installed a new filter they are looking quite bad I dont know if there is some element missing from the water? what do you all think ???

IMG-20121110-WA0001.jpg

Bare in mind that my lilies are looking are looking good. (I have a laguna stick in the pot tough)

Thanks,
Pedro

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well it could be
1. Temperature As plants go dormant in Winter Floating plants feel the affects more/quicker because they are out in the elements.
2. Nitrates New pond no to little food for them so they are dieing back

When you put them back in did they have a lot of roots ?

Not a expert but I would recommend taking the dead ones out and not let them pot and pollute the pond.
There looks to be a couple that are still green
To save those (If you can move them to a bucket with water and a grow light inside and put them back in the pond when the winter warms up.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take them out and put them in a tub of water with fertilizer and if you have a place to store them for winter or just revive them .

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone, I think temperature is not a factor here since the normal temperature on my location this time of the year is 16-20c maybe is the lack of nutrients?! hummm

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Try the tub with fertilizer. It may take a while, but if it's a nutrient issue, bet that will help since you are using a new filter set-up,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I take mine out every couple of weeks and give them a good miracle grow fertilizer bath and leave them a couple of days and then they go back ij the pond .Never enough nutrients for them

Reaction score
ok thanks,

I will have a hard time finding fertiliser for them, can you give me the purpose of that "miracle grow fertiliser" used on? a picture would be nice :)

Also Can anyone post a picture of the clay used for lilies and marginal plants, I believe I can find it over here but with other purpose.

I say this just because maybe where you all live there are garden centers around that sell aquatic compost or aquatic clay... which is very nice, but over here there are nothing for "aquatic use" :( so if I see a picture of the actual product I can try and spot a similar one.

Reaction score
I'd bet the fish are nibbling the roots. I could never grow WH but when I moved one of the half dead plants to a separate tank the plant took off. Also, I've read this same issue many times in ponds but have never heard of the problem when WH were in a veggie filter away from fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
miracle grow but any all purpose food will work but this is the brand most use here .

Attachments

• pond and miracle grow 003.JPG
    pond and miracle grow 003.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 330
  • pond and miracle grow 005.JPG
    pond and miracle grow 005.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 325
  • pond and miracle grow 004.JPG
    pond and miracle grow 004.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
We use 100 % clay kitty litter

ohhhhh used for kittys ok ok that makes it much easier!!!! Will go to the local hardware shop that sells this during the weekend and check.

kitty-litter.jpg

This is good for all the plants?

thanks a lot for the info.

Regards,
Pedro

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you are taking the plants out of the pond to fertilize them, any general purpose fertilizer will work. Try to find one with 'chelated iron' among the ingredients. You mention that you use Laguna sticks in your lillies; Laguna also sells a liquid fertilizer ( item # PT866 ) that would be ideal for your situation. You can even add it to the pond, but of course you will need more!
John
P.s.; Make sure the kitty litter has NO PERFUME in it!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep great but make sure it has no scents or additives .100% pure cheap stuff .I plant then soak it in water before it goes in the pond so I do not get a cloud of white .Cloud is good for the pond but does not look so good for a couple of days

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried that fertilizer one time Haro and think all i fed was the algae and boy what a bloom it was and that was the last time 4 years ago .

Ask a Question