hydrogen peroxide 3% in fish ponds ??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Abe, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe

Hey Pondies
    Run into this article and wonder if anyone ever tried this and if and how did it work?
    I'm usually very suspicious at hidden commercial / marketing angle lurking in the shadows
    of many such articles - but this is just run of the mill every day product, so no paranoia on
    that front - but still worried as the article is very shallow - are there any side effects ?
    I would hate to wake up to a hang over the morning after.
    Here is the link:
    https://www.hunker.com/13424261/how-to-use-hydrogen-peroxide-in-fish-ponds

Abe, Sep 29, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Abe

Jhn

No, never tried it, as it is treating the end result,(algae) not the source of the problem ..excess nutrients. It is a bad idea to use chemicals of any kind to treat a problem that can be solved with a well thought out, balanced pond...

Jhn, Sep 29, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Abe

Lisak1

I've used hydrogen peroxide in my pond - it's harmless. You would be hard pressed to overdose a pond with 3% peroxide.

I agree that it's really only addressing the symptom and not the problem, but if I have stubborn string algae on my waterfall there are times when it's helpful to have an easy solution. I will say it's not the most effective thing I've tried though. We also use sodium percarbonate when the string algae gets too thick - which is basically a hydrogen peroxide and soda ash compound. Also harmless and very effective against string algae on rocks and waterfalls.

Lisak1, Sep 29, 2017
    Abe, Gemma and Meyer Jordan like this.
  4. Abe

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Why would you be using hydrogen peroxide, I mean what is the condition that exist in the pond? Another old school oxidizer is potassium pemanganate, I never used either but have read a lot about their use in ponds.

IPA, Sep 29, 2017
  5. Abe

bettasngoldfish Maria

You have to be very careful using potassium permanganate. If not dosed correctly you can kill your fish. It's powerful stuff and you should wear gloves and eye protection when using it.

It's used to treat parasites and bacterial infections. Usually they recommend to have hydrogen peroxide on hand to neutralize it.

bettasngoldfish, Sep 29, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  6. Abe

Faebinder

Problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it kills algae and if you kill enough, you will get an ammonia spike.

Faebinder, Sep 29, 2017
  7. Abe

Abe

Well we all strive to a natural balanced pond, but there are some bumps of
    unbalance along the way , and maybe some tweaking will help , if it is harmless .
    We had couple cold weeks (5-7 C nights) and I assume beneficial bacteria is dead
    already , yet last days are very sunny and maybe algae is more affected by sun
    than by cold temperatures. In any case water turned murky dark and I cant see
    much bellow few inches.
    Did water tests and all came out good with 0 ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
    Another reason I thinking about it is that I use barley bales to control algae , which
    was working fine when waterfall worked all the time , but now I cut it to only
    few hours. I thought barley is a natural way of controlling algae - and than read
    that the active ingredient in the decomposing barley is hydrogen peroxide !?
    Maybe i should not read too much...

Abe, Sep 29, 2017
  8. Abe

Abe

Actually I might been barking at the wrong tree all along, and it is not algae at all .
    Let the waterfall circulate the water now for few hours and it does seem to clear up
    quite a bit. I can see bottom now. Wonder what else it could be.

Abe, Sep 29, 2017
  9. Abe

Lisak1

Why are you turning your waterfall off?

Lisak1, Sep 30, 2017
  10. Abe

Lisak1

True. When we have had overgrowth of string algae on the waterfall, I dose it with sodium percarbonate with the water off and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes. When I turn the waterfall back on I stand at the base and collect it as it falls off. It also pulls off the rocks much easier when it's been treated. Again - not a solution, just a way to deal with it when it gets out of hand. And always with the thought in mind that there's an underlying cause that needs to be addressed.

Lisak1, Sep 30, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  11. Abe

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Water temperature must be 0C/32F or below to kill bacteria and even then some survive. Their growth rate, however is reduced as water temperatures drop. They continue to function albeit at a lower level.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 30, 2017
  12. Abe

Abe

Now I suspect it's spawning, and the brief warm weather was the trigger.

Abe, Sep 30, 2017
  13. Abe

Abe

Well, I did plan to stop the waterfall once it gets really cold, and than have only the
    aerator with 2 blubbers go on all winter. But than stuff happened - had a visit one
    night by raccoons , maybe the waterfall sound attract them , and since the water
    course was not finished properly yet (run out of stones and pickup truck) knocked
    over part of it held by toothpick and next morning water level was down by about
    15-20%.
    I'll finish the water course next spring - maybe by than I'll manage to hook up with
    a girlfriend that have a pickup truck...
    Waterfall splash into shallow part of pond which probably will make it useless once
    it goes bellow 0.
    Also i suspect that my skimmer, which is feeding the pump through a hose is actually
    swallowing air baubles (by vacuum?) and once there is too much air in the hose, it trigger
    a dry-run safety shut-off in the pump, and all stops dead. So for the moment I don't
    operate them together - skimmer+ pump + waterfall & filter during days , aerator all night.
    And all this project was aimed to simplify my life.

Abe, Sep 30, 2017
  14. Abe

Abe

Thanks Meyer for telling me that - I think I read about bacteria dying off at 10 C in a very respectable
    book - maybe the late K. Fisher monumental book on ponds. I remember the book said also you
    can wash off your bio filter in late fall with the garden hose as bacteria is on death row anyway.

Abe, Sep 30, 2017
  15. Abe

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Stupid raccoons. The aesthetics of your pond is nice, hope you can get it worked out. Is the skimmer an Oais and all of the plumbing is in-pond with just the one pump?
    Is it possible to make a bypass to the waterfall so in the future you can let the water circulate longer into the cold season without the concern of the falls freezing?

IPA, Sep 30, 2017
  16. Abe

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

In depth scientific research into the Nitrogen cycle over the past decade or so has shown that this is absolutely not the case. With the discoveries, that NItrogen oxidation is accomplished by taxa other than primarily Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, the lower temperature range of this oxidation is much lower than previously thought, One example is the discovery of Nitrotoga arctica that actively oxidizes Nitrite at temperatures as low as 5C.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 30, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  17. Abe

Abe

Yes, it's Oasie skimmer & matching pump and mostly works like clockwork , Because fish will probably stay during winter in the deep end opposite the shallow waterfall end , and there is aerator , I did not think keeping
    the waterfall working in winter have any advantage, but maybe keeping it going for the bio filter alone so the bacteria will stay oxygenated and alive make sense - you have it ready to go in the spring and not have to wait
    6 weeks to mature and be effective. Maybe . Maybe I should get off my lazy boy and finish that water course
    so i could operate it all winter.

Abe, Oct 1, 2017
  18. Abe

Lisak1

Yup. Your pond is alive, all year long.

Lisak1, Oct 1, 2017
    Abe and Meyer Jordan like this.
  19. Abe

peta hillman

Another year with nothing added, no algae, no fish issues.

peta hillman, Oct 1, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question