Hydrogen Peroxide use in rock water feature

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone

New to your forum and have a new rock water feature installed 10 days ago

Basically a large ? Sandstone rock cored with water bubbling through and down into a small catchment basin
Just have a small circulating pump

We need to keep water fresh, but would prefer to use H2O2 instead of chlorine as we have bird life around
Secondly wary that chlorine might mark the rock longer term

Can we use the 2% hydrogen peroxide from drug store?
How much, when, do we turn water off when adding?

Expert info much appreciated

We are in British Columbia Canada
image.jpg
image.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can use the regular hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy. About 1 quart of H2O2 (3%) per 5000 gallons. I think that the stuff from the pharmacy is 2.5%, so do the math for the smaller concentration. For your application, you need to know the total volume of your feature before adding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can indeed! Actually it's 3%. You really kind of need to experiment with how much and how often. The treatment requirements will vary depending on water conditions, temperature, sun exposure, water volume, etc. but you can't hurt anything with it, so don't be afraid to try!

I would try just adding it with the water running and see how it works. How many gallons does your feature hold?

Edit: ah great minds and all that @morewater !

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
D-Solv 9 would do the trick of keeping the water clear and in keeping the algae growth down.

I'm not sure of the longevity of the sandstone, given the freeze/thaw cycle.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can use the regular hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy. About 1 quart of H2O2 (3%) per 5000 gallons. I think that the stuff from the pharmacy is 2.5%, so do the math for the smaller concentration. For your application, you need to know the total volume of your feature before adding.

Thanks for info as this will be for maintenance , not treatment, how often and when and method of adding to pond would be appreciated
Thx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
D-Solv 9 would do the trick of keeping the water clear and in keeping the algae growth down.

I'm not sure of the longevity of the sandstone, given the freeze/thaw cycle.

What is D Solv 9?
We are on Vancouver Island so hopefully no freeze/thaw!!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dump it in. Wait. When it's starts getting grubby or when you're growing algae on the rock, Do it again. Repeat cycle.

Or, use D-Solv9 liquid on a weekly basis. It's a good product.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
salt does also and birds need what they get from the salt but long term use with the rock ,I have no clue .I also know clarity products will keep water clear and no harm to fish or other animals .i know that rapid clear works because i use it in my stock tank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@morewater Do you know what the active ingredient is in D-solv 9? I've tried to find the spec sheet on the product and have been unsuccessful. I'm always curious about how these products work based on the chemistry.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@morewater Do you know what the active ingredient is in D-solv 9? I've tried to find the spec sheet on the product and have been unsuccessful. I'm always curious about how these products work based on the chemistry.

Google "D-solv 9, MSDS". The active ingredient is a gazzilion letters long. No ecological info, however. This raised my eyebrows!!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I think you should try to find something more effective and efficient than peroxide. Peroxide is gonna require a lot of repeat treatments as it becomes diluted and weakens pretty fast thereby making it a very short duration of action.

Ask a Question