Hydrogen peroxide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I've read here somewhere about using hydrogen peroxide to control string algae. But I can't find the thread now. What affect, if any, does it have on the fish, frogs,salamanders, etc.? And how well does it work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hydrogen peroxide is safe for using in the pond. One reason is that it dissipates very quickly.

You want to be aware, though, that a large algae die-off can temporarily create a low oxygen condition in the pond. I wouldn't recommend using it when it's really hot for example. When we had a lot of string algae I would always remove as much as I possibly could by hand before treating the pond. I would also make a point to remove as much of the dead algae as possible as it got washed off the rocks. Leaving dead algae in the pond only feeds more algae growth.

I've never found 3% peroxide to be as helpful as the stronger food grade peroxide for treating string algae. You can buy it as 35% solution and dilute it to the desired strength. The 3% in the brown bottle can also contain stabilizers - I have no idea what they are, but figure I don't need them in my pond. So for me it's either the food grade H2O2 or sodium percarbonate in the pond.

I use it all over my gardens to help kill mildew and fungus and to enhance oxygenation of the soil. After I sow seeds in the garden, I spray with a diluted solution of H2O2 and have found it speeds germination by as much as two or three days. Great stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hydrogen peroxide is safe for using in the pond. One reason is that it dissipates very quickly...........................

I use it all over my gardens to help kill mildew and fungus and to enhance oxygenation of the soil. After I sow seeds in the garden, I spray with a diluted solution of H2O2 and have found it speeds germination by as much as two or three days. Great stuff!

Hi Lisa,
Do you cut the 3%? To what degree? Sounds like a pretty benign way to deal with some nuisance issues....

Thanx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't dilute the 3%, no. That stuff is perfectly safe. We use it to brush teeth and as a mouthwash daily. We used to buy 6 or 8 quarts at a time and dose our 4000 gallon pond about once a month as a routine when string algae was a concern. Once we were no longer seeing masses of string algae, we stopped doing adding it on a regular basis. Now I clean up the waterfall with sodium per carbonate - same idea, a bit different product.

The 35% is another story - straight up it will burn and itch like crazy if you get on your skin as it is very oxidative. That you definitely dilute, depending on your purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't dilute the 3%, no. That stuff is perfectly safe. We use it to brush teeth and as a mouthwash daily. We used to buy 6 or 8 quarts at a time and dose our 4000 gallon pond about once a month as a routine when string algae was a concern. Once we were no longer seeing masses of string algae, we stopped doing adding it on a regular basis. Now I clean up the waterfall with sodium per carbonate - same idea, a bit different product.

The 35% is another story - straight up it will burn and itch like crazy if you get on your skin as it is very oxidative. That you definitely dilute, depending on your purpose.

Good to know! Thank you! :)

Ask a Question