I accidentally over dosed baking soda

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I added 1/8 cup, 1 measured ounce, a little more actually, to 30 gallons of pond water with fish with a KH of 4. Will the fish be ok? The ammonia and nitrites are 0, the pH is 9 and it was almost dusk when I took the sample.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sure someone who knows more will answer you; but I think baking soda can only change PH to 8.3.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm sure someone who knows more will answer you; but I think baking soda can only change PH to 8.3.
Thanks @Tula, I think I've heard that too. I was trying to raise the KH and was able to get an answer that the amount I added won't be harmful to the fish. I was in a bit of a panic when I started this thread. I was dosing for the holding tank but calculating for the larger pond. Good thing it was only baking soda. :oops:

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
From what I've seen the real damage can be done by raising or lowering the PH dramatically while fish are in there.
I've had fish go into shock. But recover.
With baking soda, there will be an initial change in PH when it is added, and then after about a day once it is completely dissolved. But without crushed coral or oyster shell....Something to stabilize it. The readings begin to drop back down pretty fast.
8.2 is where my PH usually stays.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had to add crushed oyster shells to my pond to get the hardness up. Our water is soft and acidic. Once I got it up over 100 my ph stays in the 7.6 range.

Glad your fish are ok, I dumped to much, one time into my big pond. I was trying to get the 5.4 ph up, this was after the fish I added all died. poor things, I had no clue our water was that acidic. It did swing back down pretty fast.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was trying to get the 5.4 ph up
:eek:
I have some whole oyster shells and the KH has held at 4. Waiting, forever it seems, for new pond to start to cycle, on 3rd week and no change in ammonia, (dosed with Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride) even added FritzZyme almost 1 week ago but still no change. :(
Fish holding pool is on ground and exposed to heat and have predator stalking them I think. Reading good things about Tetra SafeStart so going to give that a shot, add aeration via Venturi and hope to get it kick started and cycled soon. Don't have a good space to protect an air pump from flooding, weather and accidental knocking in pond when working on it :dead:

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I used Fritz Zyme to Kickstart my new pond and it worked quickly and very well.
Don't use anything to remove ammonia while also trying to cycle the pond.
The water needs a certain level of ammonia to begin cycling.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've read that ammonium chloride requires 3 or 4 applications to begin to work.
Yes, I think that's right but also think once initial ammonia is processed then the later doses of ammonia will be processed in a much shorter period of time. I am feeling a little stressed out and panicked, I hope it will start showing a change soon.

Ask a Question