I am a newbie from MA and have a question for the group

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

My name is Chris and I had a pond, or ponds, rather, at my home for over 20 years. I had goldfish, some of whom were well over a foot long. I had to sell my house two years ago, and the folks that bought the place did not want fish. So, I gave away my entire stock to pond friends. In the weeds, as we were clearing the pond, were a new batch of fry. I gave most away, but kept some in a tank and raised them until the following spring, whereupon I gave them away, knowing that they had had a good start!

My question for anyone and everyone is this...

I held onto two of my "fry" which are now about 3 inches long, from head to tail. They are in an aquarium in my apartment. I wonder daily whether I did the right thing by them. I wanted them because I actually could recognize the sire, if you will, of one of them, and they were simply the offspring of fish I had had for years and years. BUT, am I doing the right thing? They are the offspring of hardy pond fish. They live the easy life, getting good food and care. BUT, they are stuck in an aquarium...15 gallons for the two of them, with plants and interesting stuff in there with them. I wonder each time I look at them if they would be happier in a pond where they are free to roam, but may have to forage for food, could get eaten by animals, etc.

I need some input, because I do question myself. I have "pond friends" that have my other fish and have large ponds. Should I release these last two so they can be free, or are they better off living the easy life???

I welcome all assistance here!!! Thank you!!!!!

Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You have a good heart! I see fish in small aquariums and think "how can they be happy in there?" But then I remind myself that they are not humans - they are fish. So what's "happy" to us means nothing to them. As you said, for them it's all about surviving - eating and avoiding being eaten basically. I doubt it goes much further than that for them in terms of emotions or feelings. My husband always says "I think our fish are happy in our pond, don't you?" And I'm like "well. If they aren't, they aren't complaining!"

How about a bigger tank? They won't mind and it might ease your mind a bit!

Good luck!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I was also thinking, get a larger aquarium. As long as the water quality is good, I'm sure the fish will be fine and happy. I don't think they care where they are as long as you keep it interesting for them :woot:

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have a good heart! I see fish in small aquariums and think "how can they be happy in there?" But then I remind myself that they are not humans - they are fish. So what's "happy" to us means nothing to them. As you said, for them it's all about surviving - eating and avoiding being eaten basically. I doubt it goes much further than that for them in terms of emotions or feelings. My husband always says "I think our fish are happy in our pond, don't you?" And I'm like "well. If they aren't, they aren't complaining!"

How about a bigger tank? They won't mind and it might ease your mind a bit!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just made a newbie mistake and replied to the email. Oops. Yes, I have debated the larger tank issue. Space is a bit of an issue at the moment, but I may soon have to buy a larger tank no matter what as they grow!

Oh, you are so right, they are fish. But they are the offspring of fish that used to come when called (enmasse, not by name :) , and had real personalities I'd found, after having some of them for years and years and years!

Thank you so much for your kind reply!

Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We do grow fond of our animal companions, whether they have fur, feathers or scales... or in Maggie's case - hard shells! But we do have to keep it all in perspective - they are still animals. I mean, all of our dogs talk to us, but THEY'RE special! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just made a newbie mistake and replied to the email. Oops. Yes, I have debated the larger tank issue. Space is a bit of an issue at the moment, but I may soon have to buy a larger tank no matter what as they grow!

Oh, you are so right, they are fish. But they are the offspring of fish that used to come when called (enmasse, not by name :) , and had real personalities I'd found, after having some of them for years and years and years!

Thank you so much for your kind reply!

Chris
Hi Chris interesting question but one I know only two well however for my wife and I it was the other way around after successfully keeping and showing koi for the best part of 22 years from a large 220 imperial gallon tank to outdoors :-
dandv03.jpg

dandv01.jpg

dandv02.jpg

Provided you can give then the space it needs to turn around and move forwards and sideways and backwards as well as up and down in the water coloumn, then I cannot see it being a problem , think of it as a retirement for them if you wish :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you ALL! Dave, I am extremely impressed by your Koi tank! WOW! And, more than that, it gives me heart. Your fish seem fine and happy. I have only two three-inch, two-year-old goldfish in a 15 gallon tank. Right now they have PLENTY of room to move around, swim in and out of their "gazebo" etc. So, as I look at your tank and your happy fish, I realize that I may just be being a little too OCD about it! :) If your large fish (by the way I had about 15 goldfish the size of your larger Koi and gave them and the smaller ones all away) are happy, I shouldn't be so worried about it! Anyway, they certainly are a whole lot safer and, well, living the good life, then they would be with siblings in my friends' ponds! So, perhaps I'm not such a bad person after all!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond life is good, but they deal with predators, weather, ie ice snow heat . In some ways a tank is a better life if you take good care of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chris interesting question but one I know only two well however for my wife and I it was the other way around after successfully keeping and showing koi for the best part of 22 years from a large 220 imperial gallon tank to outdoors :-
View attachment 85167

View attachment 85168

View attachment 85169

Provided you can give then the space it needs to turn around and move forwards and sideways and backwards as well as up and down in the water coloumn, then I cannot see it being a problem , think of it as a retirement for them if you wish :happy:

Dave
I'd sent out a general note, but I wanted to tell you
Pond life is good, but they deal with predators, weather, ie ice snow heat . In some ways a tank is a better life if you take good care of it.
My fish are spoiled just like the dogs, the cat, and Heaven knows what else....tee hee hee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read what I'd written re: my fish being spoiled just like all the other animals and people in this house. I realized my comment was a bit silly/impertinent. I have cared for fish for nye on to 30 years. Those now in the tank are cared for correctly, I do believe. 1/2 the water in the tank is exchanged according to a regular schedule. The fresh water is "seasoned" outside for about 3 days; with a screen on top to keep junk out. It also has a tiny bit of "pond start" added each time. So, I believe that my fish are well cared for in their tank! At least it's worked for me for all those years. The fry that I'd collected from the weeds, for example, numbered about 80. They spent the first year of their lives in a similar tank, care for in similar fashion. Each was given away; all as very healthy fish!

That's all I meant!!! :)

Chris

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I spoil all the critters, wild birds, bees, butterflies, fish, husband, dog....
Totally understood your post.

Reaction score
Country
United States
HAHAHA! Thank you for understanding. As far as being spoiled, the worst are the dogs, but that's for another forum...:)

Thank you for your kind words!

Chris

Ask a Question