I am building a new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all,
I could use some help and critiquing of my pond design, I have been reading a lot and doing a lot or research. I want to thank you all as I have already learned a ton from this forum. I will hopefully be starting the project in a few weeks. Due to budget constraints this will be a small diy project. I do have a few supplies left over from other home improvement projects (i.e. plumbing, concrete & mortar). I don't want to cut corners just cost. Also, I already have an air pump and a Danner 950gph pump.

I am planning a semi formal 18" deep, 5'x8', kidney bean shaped goldfish pond with flagstone edging and a short waterfall. Due to legal restrictions in my area I can only build an 18" deep pond, going deeper requires a permit. If I do get a permit I can only go to 24", past that I would need a fence around the pond. I don't want a fence around it and I am not worried about having a shallow pond - so 18" deep it is. Luckily this is Northern California and it doesn’t get that cold.

The pond liner will be 10'x15' 45mil EPDM with underlayment. I chose the EPDM because it is durable and has a 25-year warranty. I will not be rocking the inside of the pond nor will it have steps/ledge around the perimeter. I will dig the sides at a 20 degree angle to prevent collapse. Only the back side of the pond will have a step, this will house a tetrapond in-pond skimmer and some aquatic plants/flowers. The waterfall will be either a Home Depot spillway or tetrapond spillway. For filtration purposes I am leaning towards the tetrapond spillway with bioballs or matala filter sponges.

I think that covers most of it.

Here are a few questions I have…

1)How high should the edge of the pond liner be compared to the grade of the surrounding surfaces? I am planning 2" as my yard is very flat.

2)What is the best method to secure the liner? I am planning on pouring a small concrete ledge around the perimeter, folding the liner over it, partially back filling the adding mortar to secure the liner and edging.
pondlinerdiagram.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I used concrete block on my waterfall ,this way if it settles or leaks it is easy to manage .Rethink the goldfish because of mating and lots of babies .I built my own filter with a stock tank and lava rock .First one was a tote but now at 5000 gallons so needed more and bigger filter .I don't have a skimmer ,no eaves so felt no need to waste money on one .Sounds like you are getting the knowledge you need to start .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Where I am we have about a two week stretch of highs at or above 100f in summer and about a week of lows around 32f in winter. The area I picked is in the north west corner of my yard. The back fence(north fence) runs east to west and the side fence(west fence) runs north to south. So the pond should be in the shade during the hottest part of the day but will have full sun in the morning.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How high should the edge of the pond liner be compared to the grade of the surrounding surfaces? I am planning 2" as my yard is very flat.

A two inch berm was enough for around my pond. However, my yard has a slight grade on the east side so if we get a lot of rain, the water from the yard will drain away from the pond. Also consider adding an overflow to your pond so that you can direct any excess water away from the edge of your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a one to two inch berm on the upslope side of my pond. We get little rivers running down when it pours, the berm has done fine in diverting rain water.

Our slope above the pond is around 25 degrees.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember to keep it where you can enjoy it the most and hear it .Electric to it has to be considered also ,call dig safe .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One other question. Should I remove my grape vine? I have a grape vine planted near the area I want to place the pond. About 3' from where the waters edge will be. I know grapes are pretty invasive. Should I be worried? I figure if I hit roots while digging the pond I will pull it out. It is only 2 years old and hasn't produced much fruit. I just took out a crape myrtle tree because I know those roots are invasive. Anyone have experience with roots puncturing pond liners?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may get a mess with them and the bees they draw .My mom had grape vines and I had them in NJ and they are great eating ,but messy as heck

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Vines of any sort usually have extensive root systems. If you can transplant this vine to another location. I would take it out. Not because of the roots but as @sissy stated they are messy..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I marked out a 5'x9' area and called 811, just to make sure there are no underground utilities.
WP_20170301_15_43_37_Pro.jpg

The cinder block is where I plan on placing the waterfall.

Ask a Question