I am loving my Mollies in our back yard pond

Reaction score
We bought this home in 2010. I fell in love with the pond it hsa a large water fall, which we have not tried to run yet. I am just using the pond area. Last year I had 10 gold fish that I put in in Febuary of 2011 and 3 alage eaters well by June my fish were just beautiful all had gotten quite large. Then one morning I went out to feed them first I notice my fountain sprayer was not in the middle and small sprayer was knock over too..well we had a hungry vistor that came a callin, we did not see him but I'm sure it was a racoon. All I know is half of my fish were gone and within 2 weeks all my fish were gone. So I just gave up.. untill this spring so in April I cleaned out the pond and found 3 minows swiming where they came from we do not know, so I put 10 goldfish and 2 marble mollies, 2 parti mollies, and 6 black mollies. Well in 2 weeks I lost 1 marble, 1 parti, and 3 goldfish. They all just up and died. The good news is all the rest are doing just wonderful! Everyone is so happy..and do I have MOLLIES I swear we are having babies every few days lately. I started out with 2 males one black and one marble and the rest were females. Now we have two more males two more females that just became adults, and 22 teenagers that are all black....but now just this week I have twenty that are golden in color to me almost a red. I call them my redheads (because I am a redhead) and we have two more groups of twenty plus that are mostly black. Now I sit out there every morning and evening when I feeed them and do you know I never see any of the goldfish ( which are pretty big now ) or the other mollies eat any of the frys belive me they are going for the food togather the frys are right there. Well I hope i haven't bored anyone.I will post some pictures later, I just tried to​

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think you need a few posts to post pics. I would llike to see pics. i used to keep mollies in my tub gardens. I like dalmation Lyre tails. I think they are my favorites. the platinum white with black spots really stand out. make sure and keep them warm in the winter. they can handle some coolish water but not cold like goldfish. I lost all mine this last winter before the move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi judimax, Welcome to the forum! That sounds great about the mollies. I have raccoons that visit nightly but my pond is deep enough for my fish to escape. I am wondering how deep your pond is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing some photos, let me know if you have any problems uploading pictures.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
FlowersWelcomeToTheGroup27.gif
judimax
Sounds like a nice pond and love Mollies. Only cold hardy goldies here in mine. Photo's would be cool!

Ask a Question