I am new to ponds and have some questions. Help please

Reaction score
I have always wanted to start a pond and I have been looking around online for a begginers guide. Here is my plan. I wish to have a 1750 gallon pond roughly about 10 feet long and 6 feet wide. All of the edges of the pond will have a 2 foot drop followed by a 25 degree angle slope to the bottom which will be 5 feet deep at the deepest. Now this is where my question comes in. Every article I have read says it is wise to use a bottom drain. What in the world do I connect this bottom drain to? Also my next question regards filtration. do I need a skimmer If my filter has mechanichal filtration? also can I use an all in one filter that has both biological filtration and mechanical or do I need seperate filters for each? My final question would be If I used a pump to bring my water to the filter would I need another pump to bring thr water roughly about 1 feet on a 12 degree slope to a waterfall or will the original pump be sufficient? Also in general what turnover rate should I have for my filter and what size piping should I plumb with? My last question is about how many mature koi can I keep in a pond this size. I know these questions might sound obvious but I am new to this. Thanks

-Sam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
We did not use a drain in ours. I hadn't read that it was needed. But if you use a bottom drain I suppose you would use a PVC 90 to come out of the bottom the run flexible PVC to a designated area where it can drain away from the pond. Of course it would need to have a drop in order to drain.

The skimmer helps keep the surface of the water clean and debris free. Your fish will also be very interested in the skimmer. We find them in there all the time.

We use a Savio Compact Skimmerfilter. So I guess ours is all in one and seems to be working fine. I am not real sure about the pump question.

You probably want to turn over the water in the pond twice per hour and use whatever size is coming to and leaving the filter. Probably inch or inch and a half.

Not real sure about the fish. We have three koi and about 8 shubunkin goldfish. I would guess that the rule from Freshwater aquariums would also apply here. One inch of full grown fish per gallon of water.

We have had our pond almost a year but have kept aquariums for the past 15 years, both fresh and salt. I hope this helps and have fun!

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the skimmer. Is there a compartment in it where I can have a pipe intake to take to a filter and from there run to the top of the waterfall or no?

Reaction score
All right so I would have the skimmer be mechanical filtration and then have a pump bring the water up to a biological filter waterfall weir which will cause airation. Sound sufficient? Also for the bottom drain is it all that neccasary like people are saying or as long as I have a submersible pump can't I just put that at the deepest point in my sloped pond and pump out water? The pump sounds easier than cutting pond liner and digging an underground tunnel for pvc pipe.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Skimmers and bottom drains are nice to have but not in the need to have category. I have had ponds for 40 years and never had either. Are they good to have? Yes, do you need them? No.

The same goes for UV filters. We were building them 40 years ago before you could buy one commercially. We might have even invented them without knowing it. If I was going back into salt water aquariums, I would have one, for a pond no.

Just my opinion.

Reaction score
I agree that it would be simplier without the drain but I am spoiled on my skimmer.

I was wondering about UV for the pond and thought "nah natural is better".

Reaction score
I am glad to hear the bottom drain is not neccasary because It would cost and extra 100 bucks. Antway I will have a skimmer which will pump the wwater up to the bio-filter/slash waterfall. Thanks for all of the help guys. So the submersible pump will be sufficient enoght to drain any waste off the bottom yes?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a sump pump in the bottom of mine to run my large waterfall. It will catch and move anything that floats and is small enough to get through its strainer. So if you have a settling container or filter element prior to discharge back onto the pond, the water should be free of large particles.

Also, unlike drains, I don't need Roto Rooter to come out and clean it out when something cloggs it.

Reaction score
I think you sii understood me I mean I will not have the pump running all the time just during cleaning and water changes to remove debris

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I only run my large waterfall for cleaning and special events. It draws a lot of current and the wires actually get hot if I leave it on too long.
My small waterfall has my bio filter and it runs 24/7.

Reaction score
o i see so the pump kicks up all debris to the waterfall then what? because if you don't have a skimmer then wat collects the debris

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Skimmers do nothing for the solids in suspension or the debries on the bottom. Thats what good circulation and filtration does. Skimmers remove protiens from the surface and other floating items.

Reaction score
Ok I see so if I have jets near the bottom of the pond will that kick up debris for the skimmer to get or not. Because I really only wanted the skimmer to send up water to the waterfall biofilter and thats it but will the skimmer at least pull out debris before reaching the biofilter or not?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your bio filter will do little to help if it's only feed is the skimmer. The waste matter and bulk of toxins are near the bottom. This is why I don't use a skimmer.

Ask a Question