I blew up my pond pump

Reaction score
Can it be repaired? It is leaking oil but pumps water OK.
The pump is a Vancs model 50 PN 2.45-61 - 1/2 HP 79 GPM made in Japan by Tsurumi Mfg Co. Ltd. I was draining the pond down to do a partial water change and forgot and left a garden hose draining over night. When I woke up the next morning, I looked out and saw that the pond had only about 8 to 10 inches of water in it. The fish survived but the pump was not running and oil was on the surface of the water in the skimmer, not out into the pond water. I took a shop vac and vacuumed up most of the oil in the skimmer. Fortunately, I had another pump to get the water running after I filled the pond. The Vancs pump will run and by placing it in a tub of water it will pump as usual. I haven't taken it apart. Maybe it just needs a new gasket seal and what about the oil? Does anyone have suggestions about a do it your self repair or should I send it out for repairs? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a old little giant pump that leaks oil, but still runs
i only use it to pump non pond related water now

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I believe I read this in another post, but most ponders keep a spare back up pump for just this kind of situation.

Shortly after reading that post I went back to my original source and purchased another identical water pump to be a back up for my pond. My pond is only 365 gallons, so my cost for the pump was less than $60.00 on sale.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I retire any pump that leaks oil into my pond. Oil floats and shuts off the oxygen to water contact in your pond. Not to mention it can get into the gills.

rdk

Reaction score
Can fish live in a pond for a short time without the water pump running? or is this dangerous for the fish?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That depends on the pond size, surface area and the population of the pond. If your pump is supplying the bio filter, the anerobic bacteria will die in 5 hours after the water flow stops.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Absolutely, I would feel naked without several spares. I have 3 pumps running 24/7 on my pond system plus I have several in reserve that I use for other things but can be put into service any time.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
...the less time your ponds filtration and aeration is down, the less chance of harm to your fish and eco system of the pond..buy a spare.preferrably the same size as you use but.even if its a little smaller than the one you use your fish and pond will appreciate it. like DrDave, i have 2 spares..and an 250 gallon pool and.extra filter set up as well.........you never know what you may come up against.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
rdk said:
Are you saying It's a good thing to buy a spare?

Let me rephrase this, would you jump out of an airplane without an emergency backup chute? That is what you are doing to your Koi by not having a backup.

Or for those who were not Airborne, you wouldn't go on a long distance drive without a spare tire and cash reserve.

Ask a Question