I Bought Gold Fish? Im New...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
to the Forums and Garden Ponds. I Built a 300Gal Pond with a 3 tier Fountain that runs into a Waterfall into the Pond as well as a small fountain kit setup. I originally started off with a 200GPH pump but was not what I had in mind since I built it for looks and sound, so I bought a 650GPH pump and installed it to the waterfall fountain and the 200GPH to the Fountain head kit for a total of 850GPH so the ponds water rotates roughly 3 times an hour. The pond is only 10'' deep to 12'' deep at the end where both Pumps are. I have not had any algea and it has been running for about 2 weeks. Anyways now that you know what I'm working with, I went and bought some cheap Gold fish and put them in Yesterday and they immediately started eating the Mosquitoe Larvae and swimming around having a good time, My question is - Will this pond work for them as a stable environment? Thanks guys! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It should for now and sounds almost like you are on track but the pond may get to small fast .It may also get a little to hot in the summer for the fish .You don't say how many fish or what kind of filter you have .Fish have babies lots of babies :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It should for now and sounds almost like you are on track but the pond may get to small fast .It may also get a little to hot in the summer for the fish .You don't say how many fish or what kind of filter you have .Fish have babies lots of babies :razz:
Oh lol I have no filter? Well I have a Filter on the Big Pump about 8'' long but the water is crystal clear with no algae. Do I need a filter? What do you mean by the pond may get to small fast? Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
Jason
You should be alright for a long time w/ just a few goldfish like you have. But w/o a filter you'll just have to do some partial water changes now and then like it was an aquarium or fish bowl so poo won't build up and create too much ammonia. If you have city water w/flouride don't forget to add the drops of remover to the new water added. When you're fish get bigger and start raising a family you'll either have to start digging a bigger pond or sell or give some fish away. Happy pondering :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for welcoming me, but I have bad news! I went to feed my fish this morning before heading to work and I couldn't find a single one?! I looked everywhere, only to come to a conclusion that some sort of predator got a hold of them :sad: so I will not have fish in my pond after all i guess.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could have been a heron and sorry to hear .You may have to put a piece of window screening over the pond .Are you sure they are not hiding

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They can really hide good in there, in tiny cracks in spaces where you think they couldn't be. But if you have taken everything out of the pond and still no fish then yep they must have been taken. There are ways to protect your pond from the predators. We here deal w/ this all the time. In Florida you could have a bird or even a snake, raccoon, etc. Screening might work unless it is a critter that can pull it off or make a hole in it or slip under it like a snake. There is snake repellent. If you could see what it is that is coming to your pond at night or whenever it would help so you can figure out the best way to deal w/ that critter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys I will look better when I get off tonight and move the granite slabs that line the edge of the pond to see if they may be back there! Do you think the city water could hurt them? Thanks again

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep get some liquid chlorine remover and then just follow the directions. A certain amt of drops for however many gallons of water you add.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok bought some tap water cleaner for pond fish and some more gold fish and hollow rocks. I will see how these do this time. Thanks for all the help! :razz:

Ask a Question