I could use some input.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am looking at making a bio filter based on the tetra design. I plan on using a 3 gallon bucket with 3/4" inlet and 1" outlet. I am looking and getting a 400 gph pump to run the filter with about 4' of lift from pump to filter. My question is will this pump be sufficient to do the job or could it possibly be too much? Thanks for the help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really don't think so pumps go by head meaning how far up they have to pump go on any pond selling store that sells pumps .It is the part of the hose that comes out of the water .At 4 ft maybe 250 gph but that depends on the brand of pump .This is a laguna brand and they are all different .If you have the box or know the brand it should say how much head .Never sure on head since there are so many kinds of pumps and there head is all different .Plus how much filter material will be in the bucket .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I agree with Sissy on this, a 400 GPH pump wouldn't give you enough flow at 4' of head. I've used the largest of the three Tetra filters for more than 20 years now, and put about 800 GPH through the filter.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks. I am still new to ponds and their complexity compared to indoor tanks. I only have the one mechanical filter that sits on the bottom of the pond with a 550 gph pump. It just doesn't seem to be enough. Thus is why I am planning on hooking up a bio setup. I appreciate all the help!!!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
What are your ammonia readings? Fish load? Quite often the pond itself houses enough bacteria to carry the bio-load.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks again to all the help. I am still looking at pumps. May go 800 gph. Now on a side not once I connect the filter I can connect a UV clarifier on the output side correct? The days are getting warmer here in So. Az so the Algae has bloomed. From what I have read a UV will really help with the algae. I just want to make sure I am looking at things correctly.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I am totally baffled. A 3 gallon pail would make a suitable filter for a 50 gallon pond. It's scary to think of where the water would go if you pumped 800 gph into a tiny bucket. Think in terms of a 30 or 55 gallon drum for a filter for your pond.

Or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dieselplower- As far as the gallons when I originally planned the pond it was about 500 gallons, but through change and if my math is correct its almost 300 gallons. To me visually it has to be somewhere close to 500 gallons, but the math tells me different. The dimensions are 4' x 4' x 3' D in a quarter circle with the arc section being close to 8'

Shakaho- I have seen the tetra bio filter and its compact size and use, which is where I came to start making my own. With my pond it is in our front yard right by the front door porch. I do not have anywhere to put any type of large filter unit such as 30 or 55 gallon drum. This is where I am stuck. What type/size of filter setup would give me the most beneficial filtration and keep the look we want. If I am to use a bio filter setup similar to the tetra design I can hide the filter in the rocks we have around the border.

Reaction score
Your math is correct on the volume, which is about 300 gallons.

I don't know where you live, but in most places with zoning restrictions a 3' deep pond must be fenced securely enough to protect children from getting to it. I bring it up only just in case you haven't checked on it.

Could you post a picture of the pond and it's setting so we could see your restrictions on filters?

Here's a piece of good news. The "head" is not the vertical distance from the pump in the bottom of the pond to the outflow of the filter. It is the distance from the surface of the water to the outflow of the filter. The pump really isn't lifting anything until the water is being lifted out of the pond. So you have 1 foot, not 4' of head.

Now comes the bad news.

The size of pond that a filter can handle according to the manufacturer is not actually a lie. It's just deceptive advertising. When they say a filter is for ponds up to 1000 gallons, they don't bother to add, "unless you have fish in the pond." Some of the more responsible companies will give a separate capacity for ponds with fish. My suggestion is that you divide the max by 10 to get its capacity for a pond with fish.

Your pond isn't big enough for koi. A good rule of thumb is that a koi pond should be at least 1000 gallons (to give swimming room for these big fish), and provide at least 300 gallons per koi. And that is with good filtration. I'm sure you've been told that fish will only grow enough to fit their container. To a certain extent that is true for goldfish. If they are kept in crowded conditions with little food for their first two years of life and survive that treatment, they will usually stay small. It is very difficult to keep koi small without killing them. Koi that don't reach average size (~ 30 inches) because of overcrowding will still reach 18-24 inches and produce as much poop as a pot-bellied pig of similar size.

So what are your options?

Stick with the limited filtration you propose, and stock very lightly. You could keep 6 goldfish healthy (with no other fish), but it will take a lot of cleaning and water changes to keep the water from getting ugly.

Hide a filter. Some people put the filter away from the pond, around a corner, behind a fence, in the garage, etc. You can run pipes on or under the ground from the pond to the filter and back. You can sink a filter into the ground, but that makes it difficult to clean. Many people make a waterfall in front of a large filter to completely hide it.

Make a filter pretty. A filter doesn't have to be in a barrel. You can get a large flowerpot or urn for your filter container and grow plants in the top of it. There are some beautiful rain barrels that make excellent filters.

If you have the ground space, you could make a bog filter. It looks like a lush garden next to your pond. I'm building one for my next-to-the-front-door pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for all the useful information Shakaho. I didnt check into the depth limitation as far as zoning (SE AZ). We do have a rock border that sticks up about 12" with a small decorative fence. As far as the location the pond is right next to our car port and front entrance sidewalk. Which is nice for looks but makes it difficult as far as expansion of the pond, filters, bog etc. I can make the pond somewhat bigger but it would only 1' farther out at the arch 3' deep.

Right now I have a Tetra FK6 550 gph pump with filter, 8" water fall weir with a filter in it. That setup was doing good on keeping the water fairly clear until the algae bloom started running rampant (I'm looking for a UV right now). I was looking at adding the bio filter setup for more filtration. More filtration is better right?

As far as the fish load, I was unaware of the stocking limitations, pond size for the fish. Luckily so far the 4 we have in there (3 koi, 1 Shabunkin) are only about 5" long. Before I put them in the pond they were in a 10 gallon indoor tank from the time I bought them. They were only about 2" long.

When i started looking at making a bio filter I had planned on doing like you said and hiding the filter in a decorative pot of some sort. I just haven't found a pump that would be just right to pump water into the bucket and not over load it.

I have attached a pic of my pond. On the right side is our car port, the top section is the sidewalk by our front window, on the left is our front door (cant see it) and at the bottom is our sidewalk leading to the door. I stood at the edge of the sidewalk when I took the pic. Right behind me is the front yard and a tree (second pic). I probably could run something to the other side of the sidewalk to make a bog setup or to the left of the pic which is just some dirt/grass by our front windows.

Since I am new to ponds I still have a lot to learn. I did do some research before I started digging but did not find enough information on ponds until I came here. I really appreciate all the insight and help you and everyone else have given me.

Thanks again, Joe.

Attachments

• Pond 2.JPG
    Pond 2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 274
  • Pond 3.JPG
    Pond 3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
These filters kill your output to a waterfall. I actually unhooked mine and did a rain barrel bio filter. My output to the waterfall nearly doubled. Also, the in and outputs, internally, are 1". I was running over 800 gph and I was not happy with the output I got from it. Also, if you do not get an absolutely great seal (with some sort of lock and gasket) you will just end up with a high pressure leak.I literally unhooked it about a week and 1/2 ago.

Ask a Question