I don't know what kind of fish this is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We've had this one fish for years and don't know what it is.

I can never get good pictures when I try.

It's small and slender, maybe 6 inches long. It's white, not pure white, maybe white-silverish and has a slightly pink hue.

It's really funny how it acts when it eats off the surface. Instead of just breaking the surface its mouth to grab the food, it breaks water and surfs real fast with half its body above the water zipping around, kind of like a dolphin. It's really peculiar.

I understand without a picture it will be hard for anyone to ID it, but maybe it's strange behavior can help. If not, no big deal.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds like an orfe..... from your body and color description. Also what you described feeding behavior, that is how mine feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Orfe was my thought as well, a blue orfe specifically. Try a Google search and see if that is what you have.

Yours seems pretty small for that age though.

I have some and they remind me of trout. That type of body. And they feed like a sport fish, grabbing food and quickly darting away. Definitely a favorite in our pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We've had this one fish for years and don't know what it is.

I can never get good pictures when I try.

It's small and slender, maybe 6 inches long. It's white, not pure white, maybe white-silverish and has a slightly pink hue.

It's really funny how it acts when it eats off the surface. Instead of just breaking the surface its mouth to grab the food, it breaks water and surfs real fast with half its body above the water zipping around, kind of like a dolphin. It's really peculiar.

I understand without a picture it will be hard for anyone to ID it, but maybe it's strange behavior can help. If not, no big deal.
I vote dolphin....it just sounds cooler to say you have one of those than an orfe. Try it on your family; see which they believe and that's what you tell everyone else!!

Ask a Question