I found a pond, I need advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Short update. The 3 goldfish I put in are getting fat. I haven't feed them. But they seem to be doing great. I don't have a bog yet but in my water fall area i have crushed oyster shells and lava rock.
The box of plants I gott from lowes did ok. The iris didn't grow but the 2 water Lilly and dwarf cattail are doing good.
I want to get plants for around the pond but not sure of what to get.
I want to get pitcher plants soon. I will have to cut some scrub trees first to get the sun in. I will make a kind of bog and use the ground water before it goes into the pond. The water is more acidic and that's what I hear they like.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A nice creeping plant w/little yellow flowers that can grow in the soil next to your pond is called Creeping Jenny or Creeping Charlie depending on who you ask. It will send little runners over the sides and into the pond which makes for a nice natural edge look. I planted a Hardy to the cold Chinese Windmill palm next to my pond for a bit of a tropical look and some ferns. I also planted a Japanese Red Maple. That grassy looking plant in my pond on the lower left bottom photo is planted in a tall planter and is called a Sweet Flag. It has been in there for years and is a growing monster that is going to break that pot wide open if it hasn't already!

Creeping Jenny
IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_8435.JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I planted a few plants. 3 creeping Jenny and some others. A customer of mine gave me some plants.
The tank I got given is now set up for a quarantine tank. My neighbor is supposed to be bringing some fish to me. Maybe today they will come we shall see.

Attachments

• 20180506_093342.jpg
    20180506_093342.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 20180506_094227.jpg
    20180506_094227.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 215

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond is looking great, good job.

Keep some sort of filter material in your pond that you can transfer into your quarantine tank when you add fish. This will limit the cycling of the qt and less stress on the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond is looking great, good job.

Keep some sort of filter material in your pond that you can transfer into your quarantine tank when you add fish. This will limit the cycling of the qt and less stress on the fish.
I have lava rocks in my pond. Plan on putting some of it in the bucket in the quarantine tank. I need an airstone also. I don't want to do to much untill I get the fish (if they come).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond has come a long way for sure. it's lucky the new owner found it intriguing. Turn those temp pools into bogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your pond has come a long way for sure. it's lucky the new owner found it intriguing. Turn those temp pools into bogs
The black roundish tank is where I send the water that comes in from the bunker sump. I plan on putting pitcher plants in that. The rectangle tank is going to be a bog. I just dug it over the weekend.

Ask a Question