I found the leak!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It was a seam failure. The company is sending me a new one free of charge but I have some questions.
1. I'm going to put the new liner over the old because that's what I've read. But should I fix that seam in the old liner first? If so, with what?
2. Being that the first liner's seam failed, I'm kinda nervous about it happening again. Should I somehow reinforce the seam of the new liner before I install it? If so, how.
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• 7397.jpeg
    7397.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 222

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you put a new liner over and old 6put slices in the old liner or you will trap water between the 2 .Better yet save old liner for something else

Was going to say the same thing about putting holes in it and leaving it.

What size is the liner that you need a seam in it?

@Loree wasn't your pond roundish, about 9'x9'? I forget the depth. (This is the lady with the cool rowboat pond!). Can't they send a seamless piece of liner?

Is it EPDM or PVC?

I would be nervous, as well. You can buy liner seam tape, alone or in kits. I looked this all up a few years ago, but don't recall the details. Assume it's different for EPDM vs. PVC. It's important that the liner is clean -- I have seen acetone recommended, or they sell special stuff to clean & prep with. Also, roughing up the areas with a little sandpaper will help with adhesion. Some liner tape comes in a roll with an adhesive backing that you peel off, but they also make special adhesives. The biggest problem would seem to be having a nice, flat surface to lay it all out to work on. Why not do a search on here, and do a Google search for "liner repair." I know this topic has been discussed in the past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, that's me....the boat-pond. lol

It's a 20x20 liner. So I shouldn't put the new liner over the old??

I initially got the big one because I wasn't sure how big I was going to need. Needless to say I had a lot of trimming to do. Anyhow, because the initial one was 20x20, that's what they're sending me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would save the old one and use it for a stream or for filters or give it to some one .Mine is also that big but it was cut even bigger than what I ordered .Plus if you ever need it is there for patch's or future projects

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would pull the old liner, use it for something else. You don't want water to get trapped between the two.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In the photo that you posted, it appears that you have reinforced vinyl liner. Why are you using this instead of EPDM which is more durable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, to be totally honest with you, I really didn't know any better and bought what I could afford at the time. My man is in construction and offered to get me some free roofing rubber but I did know that was bad for the fish. So I went with this.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, to be totally honest with you, I really didn't know any better and bought what I could afford at the time. My man is in construction and offered to get me some free roofing rubber but I did know that was bad for the fish. So I went with this.
You'll be fine with what you have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used 14 lb and 60lb roofing felt under mine .I did put the underlayment on top of that also .I had moles chew my liner in several places because there were lots of grubs under the liner they wanted .I had the felt left from the roofer when the house was built .I also put a whole lot of milky spore under the roofing paper to kill off grubs .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have known many that have used roofing rubber without a issue. You should be ok

Ask a Question