I got live ones!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yesterday I looked into my little plant basket where I held the plants with goldfish eggs and I saw some wiggly things wiggly around, so cute!!! they are just eyes and a black tiny line for body I wouldnt even seen them if not for them darting from place to place.

this is quite disturbing how super tiny they are, coming from a goldfish, and the guppy baby is a lot bigger coming out.

Anya

Reaction score
congrats... we apparently had a spawn a few weeks back - didnt recognise it as such... but then when we had one a few days back we did isolate the hornwort.
We now have fry that are approx 0.75" and also those wiggly things you describe!
What are you going to feed them? we started the brine shrimp factory....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm just going to let them find food for themself. There are tons of algae on the side of the pond (where the basket is). I cant handle lots of fish, so survivor of the fittest will have to do. But I only help them have a safe place to hatch, they will have to fend for themself after that :)

well not so true I actually dropped a flak food in there (it'll soften to the point that the fry can eat :)

wiggly little fry :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks JB, good to know, I dont want to drop a food in there if they are not going to eat it and let it rot :)

Reaction score
i have tried flake food, small pellets and algae hand picked from the side of the pond... they dont want to eat it
brine shrimp they love - but we have them outside of the pond so we can control what they eat!

Reaction score
did i mention my wife went overboard yesterday and made a special smaller cylindrical cage that floats JUST for the fry?
She's gone fry mad :)
Its made out of window screen material - very small holes... small enough that 0.5" fry wont try to get stuck.
once those wiggly ones get larger we will transfer those to this floating cage in the pond too

Reaction score
Thanks JB, good to know, I dont want to drop a food in there if they are not going to eat it and let it rot :)

Baby fry survive off of daphnia and infursia that occur naturally within aquariums and ponds with plants, many don't even know they have fry and they only realize once the fry are 2 inches long.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday I looked into my little plant basket where I held the plants with goldfish eggs and I saw some wiggly things wiggly around, so cute!!! they are just eyes and a black tiny line for body I wouldnt even seen them if not for them darting from place to place.

this is quite disturbing how super tiny they are, coming from a goldfish, and the guppy baby is a lot bigger coming out.

Anya
I call them EYELASHES! Congrats!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Talal, thanks for the info! I plan on for them to live off algae, but it's just tempting to leave a piece of flak food in there just-in-case :) now I know not to even try. I have dry brine shrimp, might try that in a few days.

jmajid, at first I thought i'd let them be and now i'm starting to think of many things to help them survive... they are in a plant basket with full floating plants in it so they will be pretty much protected until they wander off. the little wiggly thing just too darn cute :)

TM, eyelash is a fitting name! :)

Maria, yes it's so much fun. I dont have much room and I know I cant have many fish but it's so darn cute that I cant help myself want to help them. Oh and I want to see all of them grow and develop their colors.... they are shubby and may be shubby or normal white/orange goldfish mix so it'll be interesting what they tune out to be :)

Reaction score
Talal, thanks for the info! I plan on for them to live off algae, but it's just tempting to leave a piece of flak food in there just-in-case :) now I know not to even try. I have dry brine shrimp, might try that in a few days.

jmajid, at first I thought i'd let them be and now i'm starting to think of many things to help them survive... they are in a plant basket with full floating plants in it so they will be pretty much protected until they wander off. the little wiggly thing just too darn cute :)

TM, eyelash is a fitting name! :)

Maria, yes it's so much fun. I dont have much room and I know I cant have many fish but it's so darn cute that I cant help myself want to help them. Oh and I want to see all of them grow and develop their colors.... they are shubby and may be shubby or normal white/orange goldfish mix so it'll be interesting what they tune out to be :)

I'm like that too, I can't allow survival of the fittest to occur, I can't be cold enough to just let my babies die! I always fail for my fish's antics and end up feeding more than I planned too. it can't be helped.

Ask a Question