I guess I bought a pond

Reaction score
I bought a home and this pond came with it. I don't know the first thing about ponds, so I guess my question is where should I start? Should I even bother with it and just tear it out or does it look like something that can be worked with?

Reaction score
Here's the pond

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
Hah, I'm in the same boat as you. Package deal with the house...

I've opted to redo mine, though yours looks much better than what I started with!

Is their any kind of filtration/aeration?

Looks a little boggy, but that of course is to be expected with stagnant water!

What's your plans, just an eye piece, or do you want fish, or...?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with above ^^^ What are your goals if you keep it, how big? is there filtration etc. Do you like ponds is important also.

Welcome to our group.................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and looks like once you clean it up and add a filter you will have a nice pond .Are there fish and how deep is it ,Is there electric to it

Reaction score
Looks like it has potential. Many good questions from previous posters. Can you also give us dimensions, including depth? i would get a hose and fill it til it begins to overflow. I don't really like the way the liner looks around the top but I have sort of the same issue with my pond. I notice on the left side there looks to be quite a bit of tarp on a sharp angle. Is there a waterfall there or anything?

Reaction score
Looks good. Just need cleaning / tidying up and adequate filtration if you plan on keeping fish :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the group. A bucket of water "can be worked with" and if you like ponds, you have a great start here. The question is, what do you want from the pond? Soooo many options.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm new to ponds myself but let me tell you, that is a beauty. It obviously needs some work. From this angle, the rock placement is a bit odd, and could be fixed or changed...but this could be a really nice pond in the near future. Ponds take some work, but nothing more than a little hobby once you do any big changes or adjustments to it, and they're very relaxing.
Personally I'd never remove a pond like that, I would consider it a gift, but it depends on if you want it or not.

Reaction score
I think that is how a lot of people are coming into pond ownership. You really need to decide what you want it to become and then go from there. It looks like a great pond, lots of potential!

Reaction score
All I really know about this pond is that it's supposed to have a fountain of sorts in it so I assume that it still does have electricity or an extension cord somewhere in the jungle that is now my yard. I would like to put some fish in it eventually but I'm not sure that'll be feasible since I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on a filtration system. There is some sort of hardware just under the surface, if I don't forget I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. My husband really likes it so I'm going to try to make it work, I love my fish tanks so maybe I can learn to love this too! Also is there anything I can do to get rid of the algae and what kind of fish could I possibly keep and what could I do to protect them from predators Im in the country so we have a little bit of everything(I have no idea of the size off-hand Ill take some measurements tomorrow as well).

Reaction score
Also here's a picture of the pond from the previous owners, looked really pretty before it fell into disrepair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 289

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all you need for a filter is a tote and some lava rock .Tote about 5 dollars and lava rock about 4 dollars and a tank adapter about 6 dollars ,Go on you tube and you will see lots of filters made this way .You could for now do an in pond filter it just has to be cleaned more often .All you need is a bucket or crate and put the pump in and then put lava rock on top .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52791]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790]

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what these thing are, the thingy I pulled out of the pond has a normal three prong power cord. The other cords appear to be for some lights. Still haven't been able to clear the area of the tall vegetation.image.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Grumpytrex said:
Can anyone tell me what these thing are, the thingy I pulled out of the pond has a normal three prong power cord. The other cords appear to be for some lights. Still haven't been able to clear the area of the tall vegetation.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
That is a pump but it appears that the cover for the impeller is missing. I assume that the cord is for the pump. I wouldn't start the pump untill you find the cover which normally screws on......Ralph

Ask a Question