I had a crazy idea that actually worked, lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So, I was enjoying a cold beer by the pond yesterday evening and had an idea. I thought it might be a good idea to try to vacuum the bottom of the pond with the swimming pool vacuum. This morning, I took the cover off the pool. The pool was more green than the pond, which is normal because I don't run the pump in the winter or use any chemicals when I cover the pool in the fall. Anyway, I hooked up the vacuum system and it worked. I vacuumed 3 pool skimmer baskets of leaves from the bottom of the pond. I did backwash and rinse the sand filter in between emptying the baskets. The vacuum stirred up some debris from the bottom that that floated to the surface, but the skimmer quickly took care of it.

The distance from pool skimmer to the farthest/deepest part of the pond is 45-50 feet, so it really made spring cleaning easy!!

I must add the once I add chemicals to the pool, I will never, ever do this. It just seemed like a good idea to try.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am not sure how a pool vac works, does it recycle the water it sucks out back into the pond after it has gone through the pool filter? If so won't there be chemicals in it still from the year before? Sounds like a good idea as long as the chemicals don't get into your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, the water goes through the skimmer, into the sand filter and back into the pool. The only danger of getting chemicals into the pond would be from the vacuum hose, pole and tubing. Much easier that scooping the leaves out with a net.

Reaction score
so you pumped pond water into your pool? ughh.. my pool is only slightly green but i put chems in when i close
why not just have it go out the drain
i thought of doing the same thing but my pump is still disconnected and drained.

Reaction score
The Muck Mop works like a swimming pool vac, but the kind that uses a bag rather than catching leaves in the skimmer. I've never seen a vac that catches leaves in the skimmer basket. The Muck Mop recycles the water and provides a lot more power than a garden hose.

I enjoyed using it. Nice long hose, easy to use. I would vacuum a couple of times a month in summer. Next pond I might plumb it so the vac pump could stay in the pond, maybe even create storage for the vac so it stays connected all the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JC, the original plan was to vacuum it to waste, but the pool was so dirty with algae and pollen, I decided it wouldn't hurt to vacuum it right into the pool.

Waterbug, the muck mop looks like a great idea. I've been looking at pond vacs but the are quite expensive!! The leaves went into the pool skimmer basket, not the pond skimmer basket.

Reaction score
Yeah, I did get that it was the pool you were talking about. But I haven't seen a set up like that and I'm a little twisted and am interested in such things. I've only seen where you remove the skimmer basket and connect the vac hose to inlet inside the skimmer. The leaves end up inside the filter. Or is that what you meant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The skimmer basket sits inside the skimmer. I attach a disk to the vac hose, fill the hose with water from the jets and place the disk above the skimmer box. The water is pulled from the vac head into the skimmer to the filter. If the basket was not in the skimmer, the leaves would be pulled into the filter. Hope that makes sense, lol. I can post pics if you would like.

Ask a Question