I have a 1500 gallon fish pond with Koi and goldfish The goldfish have developed white scabby growths on them Do you have any suggestions

Myr

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fish in this pond has been there for at least 10 years
Recently I discovered that the goldfish were developing white scabby growths
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2658BC35-ADEC-497F-9090-74A91301D240.jpeg
    2658BC35-ADEC-497F-9090-74A91301D240.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 7F3B386D-B49C-4EDA-8AEE-E61D5C8454BF.jpeg
    7F3B386D-B49C-4EDA-8AEE-E61D5C8454BF.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 70

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1632070875671.gif
@Myr
I'm not good at knowing how to treat or diagnose diseases but perhaps if you can get a close up photo somehow of the scabby stuff maybe someone here could help ya. Very nice pond and fish you have there. Love all your plants too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful pond!

Close ups will help a lot.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Myr, Hello and welcome! It would be helpful if you could give us some information about your pond. Also, close-up pics of these “growths” would be helpful, as well. No one can know what’s going on with just the info you have given so far.

Myr

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0178.jpeg

@Myr, Hello and welcome! It would be helpful if you could give us some information about your pond. Also, close-up pics of these “growths” would be helpful, as well. No one can know what’s going on with just the info you have given so far.
I had this pond built 20 years ago. This is my second batch of fish. which are about 10 years old.
the goldfish were bought as feeders for 5cents each. I knew that if they survived, I could buy more expensive Koi .
The goldfish and Koi have been living together in good health for about ten years. But I recently noticed the white growths on the goldfish and now Im starting to see some on the Koi.
I don't want to lose these fish. They are very beautiful.
Can you help me?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Look up columnaris (aka saddleback disease) to see if this is a match for what you are seeing. Some experts view this as an opportunistic infection that won’t take hold unless the fish are stressed. It can become quite serious, though, resulting in a number of fish deaths so you will definitely want to check all your water parameters, temperature, see if you can think of any changes that might have caused the stress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Look up columnaris (aka saddleback disease) to see if this is a match for what you are seeing. Some experts view this as an opportunistic infection that won’t take hold unless the fish are stressed. It can become quite serious, though, resulting in a number of fish deaths so you will definitely want to check all your water parameters, temperature, see if you can think of any changes that might have caused the stress.

And I attached a screen shot of some photos of what it looks like in fish. There are several types. Some will kill off your fish rapidly with no symptoms. The type that grows slowly enough to leave obvious white patches fortunately gives you some time to intervene, but can still be very serious. It may be worth having an aquatic vet come out to help you ID if it’s more than just one fish affected.

I have my first columnaris outbreak in one of my aquariums, admittedly due to lax husbandry in my guppy tank, and I have not had good sterilization practices between the aquariums and the pond, so I am crossing my fingers that the really excellent water conditions in the pond will protect the pond fish just fine. Good luck in figuring it out!

Attachments

• A675D064-4527-443C-AEB8-25C4C4A03262.png
    A675D064-4527-443C-AEB8-25C4C4A03262.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 12

Ask a Question