I have a few questions (I am new help)

Reaction score
I have always wanted to start a pond and I have been looking around online for a begginers guide. Here is my plan. I wish to have a 1750 gallon pond roughly about 10 feet long and 6 feet wide. All of the edges of the pond will have a 2 foot drop followed by a 25 degree angle slope to the bottom which will be 5 feet deep at the deepest. Now this is where my question comes in. Every article I have read says it is wise to use a bottom drain. What in the world do I connect this bottom drain to? Also my next question regards filtration. do I need a skimmer If my filter has mechanichal filtration? also can I use an all in one filter that has both biological filtration and mechanical or do I need seperate filters for each? My final question would be If I used a pump to bring my water to the filter would I need another pump to bring thr water roughly about 1 feet on a 12 degree slope to a waterfall or will the original pump be sufficient? My last question is about how many mature koi can I keep in a pond this size. I know these questions might sound obvious but I am new to this. Thanks

-Sam

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hay sam welcome .. i dont have a bottom drain , or skimmer on my ponds . not that their is any thing wrong with them ,,, my pump sits in my lower pond, i pump through a uv.light into my filter.every thing from there is gravity fed ,,,, my top pond is 2ft above ground,the water fall is 6ft off the ground, so i have my filter outlet at that level,,,,,the black drum is my bio filter, the blue one is going to be a second bio filter, i just started it yesterday ,i will post pics of building it as i get further along.

Attachments

• filter 1 (2).jpg
    filter 1 (2).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 372
Reaction score
How many gallons are each of the ponds and how far are you pumping the water? Also what kind of pump are you using. All right so I would have the skimmer be mechanical filtration and then have a pump bring the water up to a biological filter waterfall weir which will cause airation. Sound sufficient? Also for the bottom drain is it all that neccasary like people are saying or as long as I have a submersible pump can't I just put that at the deepest point in my sloped pond and pump out water? The pump sounds easier than cutting pond liner and digging an underground tunnel for pvc pipe for the drain.

Ask a Question