I have a green alga or something taken over my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had this pond over 25 years and now this green leafy something has taken i over.
what is it how to get rid of it.
Tks
West Tennessee

Attachments

• IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had this pond over 25 years and now this green leafy something has taken i over.
what is it how to get rid of it.
Tks
West Tennessee
Welcome McDaddy..... I am from West Tennessee also..... From the pictures this looks like a farm pond, what is the size of the pond, do you have any pumps or filtration, what kind of fish are in the pond and where does the water to maintain the water level come from..... A well or runoff from the surrounding area. Also has that plant always been there but took off this year or did it just appear this year. It takes alot of nitrates to support that much plant life

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That may be Spirodela a larger member of the same family of plants as Duckweed.
Considered beneficial under normal circumstances as it is a veritable sponge when it involves Nitrate and Phosphorus. It can become invasive when nutrient levels dramatically increase over typical levels in a pond.
In your case, I would guess run-off from nearby agriculture or animal pasture.
The only permanent removal is by netting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i called my county extension office and sent these same pictures
I was TOLD CLIPPER will kill it all.
It will be PERMANENT.
so that is what Im getting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Clipper is a flumioxazin product and comes in a water dispersible granule which must be mixed in water first and then either sprayed or injected. It is a broad spectrum, contact herbicide. Contact herbicides act quickly. Flumioxazin should be applied to actively growing plants and a surfactant will be needed if the herbicide is applied foliage of floating or emergent plants. Water pH needs to be below 8.5 or flumioxazin will rapidly degrade and lose effectiveness.

One danger with any chemical control method is the chance of an oxygen depletion after the treatment caused by the decomposition of the dead plant material. Oxygen depletions can kill fish in the pond. If the pond is heavily infested with weeds it may be possible (depending on the herbicide chosen) to treat the pond in sections and let each section decompose for about two weeks before treating another section. Aeration, particularly at night, for several days after treatment may help control the oxygen depletion.

One common problem in using aquatic herbicides is determining area and/or volume of the pond or area to be treated. To assist you with these determinations see SRAC #103 Calculating Area and Volume of Ponds and Tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
looks like duckweed to me , ur pond is extra fertile

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
i called my county extension office and sent these same pictures
I was TOLD CLIPPER will kill it all.
It will be PERMANENT.
so that is what Im getting

Just keep in mind that the action of any algicide or herbicide only releases the nutrients that caused the excess growth back into the pond where it can trigger another bloom be it algae or invasive plant. Additionally as the dead algae or plant decays Oxygen in the water column can decrease to dangerously low level often resulting in a fish kill.
If you do not have ample aeration your already bothersome problem can quickly become a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question