I have a "mystery" fish....what could it be?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@fishin4cars

I noticed this fish in the QT a couple of weeks ago, tried unsuccessfully to catch it, then promptly forgot about it. Then, today I was doing some routine "pond" maintenance on the QT, and spotted it again.

These pictures are next to worthless -- sorry [was cleaning the tank, so....]! I'll try again to catch the fish, or at least get better pix of it another time, but was afraid if I didn't act on it now [this post] I would forget again. So please don't ask for better pix -- I know.

What caught my attention was the odd shape of the fish, well, and it's coloring. There is a pronounced concavity behind the head area. It seems longer than it should be for its size, and the fins don't seem right [for a goldfish or Rosy Red]. But also, right about where its head is, it has 2 very light spots. Otherwise, the fish is dark and I have no idea what its underside looks like. Honestly, the fish looks alien. Actually, the fish looks like a miniature shark [or a pleco]!

All that's in the QT are a few goldfish and a couple of Rosy Reds.

On these pix, I have 2 for each shot -- one where I outlined the fish and then the original.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
new species! golred..................... (goldfish rosey red combo)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
As usual, when photos of something strange like the Loch ness monster, Sasquatch, UFOs, etc., are taken the photos are grainy and blurry. What's up with that, anyway?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As usual, when photos of something strange like the Loch ness monster, Sasquatch, UFOs, etc., are taken the photos are grainy and blurry. What's up with that, anyway?
Either that, or the films disappear and no one knows what happened to them -- it's a requirement of the genre! :cool:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Barring storms here today, the plan is to do a water change (it's over due) on the QT. I'm hoping I can catch this little guy.

I really am curious! And if it is something like a pleco -- or anything not goldfish or Rosy Red -- how the heck did it get there!?!? Strange looking fish!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So how do you know it's old? I think it looks a bit thin but don't know how to tell age.

Well it's definitely not a shark or a pleco :LOL: Is it a fathead minnow? Did you ever put any of them in your quarantine tank?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish What makes me think it's old? It just looks old to me......good point, though.

When I built the pond in 2012, I added some Rosy Reds. They had babies and I think some of the offspring reverted to the natural state. I put all the RR's I had left in the QT to keep the biofilter seeded -- there were maybe 4 or 5. Now down to 2 minnows: this one and one RR [and a couple of fry that don't look like GF, but I can't really tell]. If these 2 are from the original purchase, that would make them at least 3 years old [but they could be offspring -- who knows].

Ask a Question