I have a pond which I would like to increase the depth of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have a pond roughly 10 meters in diameter.

I live on clay soil and the pond is fed with a pipe that runs from a neboughing stream.

It's currently only a foot or two deep with water lilies in.

I'd like to dig it out so that it's at least 1 m in depth as I'd like to be able to swim in it.

I have access to farmers with machinery.

I wondered what would be necessary to turn it into something swimmable in?

thanks so much everyone - i really appreciate any guidance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
By digging deeper you may loose the soils that give you your pond. If that was to be the case you'd then need to over dig and bring in clay or bentonite or even a liner but if your going to do the work why only an other foot. I'd bite the bullet and make it at least 5 easier to keep the more water there is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651089927676.jpeg
@matildafulford

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my pond dug out to 1m over most of it's area then 2m at one end. We are also on clay and the pond sounds a similar scale to your. The 2m depth will give the fish santuary in the winter. The pond was neglected by the previous owner, in fact they use to empty water from the swimmimg pool into it, so there was limited life and no fish. We therefore decided to totally drain it.

My advice would be to do a trial pit closeby the pond to assess the depth of the clay.

It was suggested to speak to the local authority about restrictions. I certainly would not do that. UK local authorities are populated by rule book clutching beasybodies who like nothing more than stopping reasonable people doing what they want on their own property whether this is to do with their house, garden or pond. If they find a great crested knewt in your pond you will be in all sorts of trouble.

Ask a Question