I have baby fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Fish have been doing their thing and now I am seeing baby fish! Hiding around the rocks. Went to remove some string algae and some are swimming around. I have only seen a handful and they are about the size of an eyelash up to 1/4". So I'm thinking if I want some to survive, I better leave the string algae for them. They have a long road to go to manage to survive to a safe size but I hope some do. Right now, I have plenty of space in my pond for some new fish so we shall see.
I wanted to get a few more shubbies but cant find any place in my area who has any. Will keep on the lookout for some nice shubbies when I get a chance to look somewhere out of town.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool! I didn't do anything special to keep mine alive. Nature kind of decided to keep two alive.

Do you have safe places for them to hide, like hornwort?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very cool! I didn't do anything special to keep mine alive. Nature kind of decided to keep two alive.

Do you have safe places for them to hide, like hornwort?
JB I do not have any hornwort or anacharis for them to hide in. I do have a lot of rock crevasses on my shelf and clumps of string algea hanging on the sides of the pond liner. I was in the process of removing some of the clumps when I discovered the tiny fry. I decided to leave the algea to give them some added cover. Since I dicovered the first ones, I went searching for others. I have seen fry in several different areas in the pond. Just a few in each area that I noticed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haver, that sounds smart to leave some hiding places. What color are they? My nicest shubunkin came from Petsmart. He was only $1.99 and about 1.5 inches long. Now he is around 6 inches long a a proud papa to about a half dozen shubunkins in my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haver,that sounds smart to leave some hiding places for your fry. I bought a shubunkin a few years ago from Petsmart for $1.99. He was only about 1.5 inches long. Now he is about 5 inches long and has a tail over two inches long and is the proud papa of a bunch of baby shubunkin here. His colors really improved with time and he is a very pretty fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Petsmart does get in some nice ones I wander by every now and then to check them out.

I found some fry hanging out in the plant roots along the side of the pond. They are so darn tiny. Like eye lashes in size.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat on your new be'be's :)
Got my shubs at Petsmart also. They do have some nice ones w/ long tails now and then. Haven't seen any be'be's here yet but have seen the chasing so love is in the air :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Haver, that sounds smart to leave some hiding places. What color are they? My nicest shubunkin came from Petsmart. He was only $1.99 and about 1.5 inches long. Now he is around 6 inches long a a proud papa to about a half dozen shubunkins in my pond!
They dont really have any color right now. Just greyish. I only have 2 shubbies in the pond and I dont think they have spawned yet. I have an all orange and an all white female that are usually the ones being chased the most. The one fry that survived from last year is all orange. The males are orange and white long tailed comets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haver , It sounds like you might get some nice colors out of fry with the color of your adults are. Its funny though because everyone is different. I like the Sarrasa Comet colors like orange and white or red and whites spotted. Some people prefer one solid color. One of the babies I have started out black and is now all orange and almost all orange fins and tail. I think it is going to be a really pretty fish as it grows. An hour away to petsmart? You most live far out in the boonies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
lol you could say i'm a bit in the boonies. Only 15 min from the nearest town but no petsmart. Only a walmart whos poor fish always look sickly, an Earl May, they dont carry much for fish and a mom & pop fish/pet store never have much but tropicals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They built a petsmart around 15 minutes from us, but they don't seem to carry a good selection of shubbies, the one on the other side of town has bigger tanks and better fish.
I never buy any from walmart, their fish are always sickly. Tiny tanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I drained and cleaned my skippy yesterday and found 6 more baby fish in the bottom! Used some of the water to water some plants so not sure if some ended up as fertilizer!
I threw them in my quarantine tank. At this point I don't plan to buy any more fish! Well I did pick up 3- 2 inch shubbies that I have in my half barrel pond. I may end up with plenty of babies this year. Fish were spawning again yesterday. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Babies are doing well, maybe to well. Now that my water has cleared up, I am seeing more and more babies that are 3/4" to 1 1/4". Feeding like mad on the algea on the sides of the pond. The babies I rescued from the skippy while cleaning, I threw in my stock tank pond,( was planning to use for a quarentine.) There is at least 5 in there.
Then I threw a handful of string algea in that stock tank pond, in case the babies wanted to nibbel on it and guess what, tonight I saw a couple of eyelash size babies now in there too. :eek: So this weekend I will be getting as much of the string algea out of the pond that I purposely left in there for the babies to hide in.
Enough babies already. I have room for them but I think that will do it for this year! Not sure if the fishies will aggree though.

Ask a Question