I have bees living on the edge of my pond

Reaction score
I have a ton of bees living in the rocks on the edge of my pond. Spray is probably a bad idea because it will go in the pond and hurt the fish. How do you suggest I kill them with out spray? I use a garden hose and it just pissed them off.
Thanks,
mike

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That's about it, Mike! Garden hose and a good pair of running shoes!!!! :yikesu: John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are they bees or those yellow little wasps? that almost look like bees. They like to live in rocks, walls, dirt. I have been stung by them 4 times now and they hurt.

If you can see the entry hole, wait until evening when they are calm or first thing in the am, use one of those wasp sprays that are a direct stream, shoot it into the hole. If you can do that without the spray getting into your pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If they are yellowjackets, get the wasp spray that shoots a jet of foam. It fills the entry to theis nest, and they die inside. Very effective! But I still recommend the running shoes. John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they are yellowjackets, get the wasp spray that shoots a jet of foam. It fills the entry to theis nest, and they die inside. Very effective! But I still recommend the running shoes. John

no kidding they swarm, I usually go after them in the am when they are slower.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
please make sure of what they are before you try to kill them ... it would be a shame to kill bees, they are already on the decline and without bees to pollinate things we would be in trouble, in the UK you can call a bee person to come and remove a nest and take it to a safer place, i don't know if you have anyone like that there

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
please make sure of what they are before you try to kill them ... it would be a shame to kill bees, they are already on the decline and without bees to pollinate things we would be in trouble, in the UK you can call a bee person to come and remove a nest and take it to a safer place, i don't know if you have anyone like that there
We do stroppy they will come and remove the hive it at all possible.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't we have a beewranger that just joined recently. Maybe he can come and take your bees. :razz: :lamp5:

Reaction score
They have a white powder that comes in a can that you can "squirt" down there. It works great too. The foam stuff that HARO recommended is good too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have mud wasps (also called Mud Dauber's ) living on one side of my pond around the rocks on the edge and if I don't bother them they don't bother me. They are not aggressive and will not attack you unless you handle them and I don't plan on doing that. I can stand right next to them and they just go about their business and I mine. So far so good!

Attachments

• 250px-Sceliphron-mud-dauber.jpg
    250px-Sceliphron-mud-dauber.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 425
Reaction score
They live in the rocks. There is pond liner under the rocks where I always see them hanging out. I'll have to investigate a little more.
I'm sure my neighbors already see me running away when I piss off the bees/wasps. It probably looks pretty silly LOL
Thanks for the good ideas.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try and snap a picture, maybe we can help with the id.

I have those mud dauber's also jw, on some purple flowered plants near my pond I have those black and gold bees, not the wood eating ones, the bushes are covered with them. Each plant at any one time probably had 50-100 bees on it, there are three plants. So far i wander among them, bump the bushes while working on the pond. They ignore me I ignore them lol

DSC02136.JPG

There is one to the left of the butterfly

DSC02133.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have nice, minding their own business bees too. Pretty butterfly!
What kind of bees eat wood? Never heard of those. We have some little bees that like to live in the sandy soil here. There were tons when we first moved in and they never bothered anyone. I guess they moved on after the grass started growing and we started mowing. Darn humans!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have nice, minding their own business bees too. Pretty butterfly!
What kind of bees eat wood? Never heard of those. We have some little bees that like to live in the sandy soil here. There were tons when we first moved in and they never bothered anyone. I guess they moved on after the grass started growing and we started mowing. Darn humans!

they are carpenter bees, big black things, drill holes in the wood to nest.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Just don't go banging a mallet around their nests, like I accidentally did yesterday. Got stung by a wasp on the back of my right arm while pounding out a screed board next to one of the deck. My hubby says cursing was invented with the advent of plumbing. I don't think so! I think it came about with the first wasp sting! :angry: The nest is under one of our decks so I squirted some of that foam killer and watched them fly out half drunk. Then I finished them off with the same mallet. :razz:

Ask a Question