I have snails in my pond today!

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
I went out to look at my pond today. There are at least 12 little black snails crawling around. I have no idea how they got there. I'm guessing there were eggs in one of my plants' pots??

I'm worried, however. I've read that snails are not beneficial and even detrimental to ponds. That they eat the good stuff (like slime algae) not the "bad" stuff (like string algae) and then they add more debris to your pond when they die.

We have a very small pond, probably under 200 gallons and no fish.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm worried, however. I've read that snails are not beneficial and even detrimental to ponds. .

I've had snails since my first pond went in and have never seen anything bad come from having them, though I too was cautious about it when I first found one in my pond. I'm glad I have them. Fish and frogs are the main feature on the most basic level, but I really enjoy watching the snails cruise around on the surface, or a spider making a web before sunset, or a dragonfly nymph walking on the bottom. When all of those things come together, a pond becomes more natural.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anything that wants to live in my pond is welcome, I have tons of snails, from tiny ones to almost the size a golf ball. I like watching them clean my camera lens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here you can see the baby ones living on the sides of our filters
Diversity= Stability
Dave

M

MariaTeresa

I've got pond snails and trapdoors. The raccoons and I have an agreement regarding the pond snails. They may eat the big ones in the 'beach' area as long as they don't trash the pond or go after the fish. So far it is working out. :)

Ask a Question