I know nothing about setting up 100 gal stock tank!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 goldfish that are six years old. They have outgrown their tank. I got a 100-gallon stock tank for outside. What kind of pump is best to use on a budget? I want to build a filter system also. Need to do everything cheap as possible! I have only used well water in my fish tank. I live on the TX coast so it doesn't get real cold here. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
harbor freight has some cheaper ones but for my 100 gallon stock tank I use a 350 gph one and a crate with quilt batting in it .
100_6971.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I prefer pumps that have good energy ratings. Most of my pond equipment is from AZponds. You can buy a cheap pump but will pay more in the long run!

Reaction score
Think of the stock tank as an aquarium, you just want to keep the water circulating. Don't go overboard on a filtering system build something like Sissy suggested using a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap pump is all you need. Finding a small enough pump should be easy enough. I'm not even sure if you can get an energy saving pump that small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Think of the stock tank as an aquarium, you just want to keep the water circulating. Don't go overboard on a filtering system build something like Sissy suggested using a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap pump is all you need. Finding a small enough pump should be easy enough. I'm not even sure if you can get an energy saving pump that small.

aqurium pump/filter would work or 2 depending on the ratings.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought laguna pumps but researched to find energy efficient pumps under 400 gph and really found none .I went with one that used the least amount of energy that i could find around here .Even ones up to 500 gph were not listed as energy savers .I have a cheap aerator I use for it that was for a fish tank .It is mostly for baby fish before they go to a new home .You have to consider weather conditions also .I made a furniture dolly for my stock tank so I could roll it into the basement come winter .

Ask a Question