i know this is a silly question but.........

Reaction score
I have a blagdon mayfly(i think) preformed pond, i know it should be dug into the ground,but i want it free standing, is there anything i should do? any tips? please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
You need to have something support the sides, or they will sag and collapse from the weight of the water. I've seen a lot of people who build up a brick ledge around preformed ponds, generally filling inside the brick with sand or dirt to give good support to the pond liner. A brick wall also allows you to sit by the edge of the pond, plus it provides insulation against cold in the Winter.

The biggest disadvantage to a raised pond is that if a fish jumps out (and they WILL jump), there is no chance for the fish to be able to flop themselves back into the water. However there are a lot of people who have this style of pond, and I have not heard anyone talking about losing fish this way. I myself originally had a preformed liner pond, which I set on the ground and built up a dirt mound around it. I only lost one fish in four years due to jumping out.

If I remember right, you want to search for 'formal pond'... That should give you some ideas on supporting the edges of your liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blagdon mayfly(i think) preformed pond, i know it should be dug into the ground,but i want it free standing, is there anything i should do? any tips? please
We have a purpose built free standing pond if its preformed then I would ask the company that makes it for advice before you go any further along the free standing way of things.
Where are you from in gods country lol originally I'm from a mill town called Oldham but left to join the Navy and settled in Plymouth with my wonderful Partner of 27+ years Val.
W dont go North that often due to disabilities but when we do I find my home town so changed that its hard to recognise the place anymore lol
* Note if you are going to buy an airpump dont buy Blagdon they are Crap and only last one season buy one of the larger koi airpumps instead.
Can you tell me how many gallons your talking about here ours is 1,000 gallons what sort of filtration are you looking to use ?

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question