I messed around...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This morning it's like the 10th time my goldfish spawned this season.. (with ONE female!!!)

I don't know what got in to me, I had a feeling that I needed to do something..

So I got my female out... put her in a bucket so she could rest.. then I got this mad idea so I got the male wakin out.....

I read/watch somewhere before how to 'hand spawn' the fish, so i gently rubbed the male and the whitish stuff came out, then I turned to the female and gently, very gently, rubbed her belly to get the eggs out too. Not really 'rub' per-say, the egg came out quite easily. Then I let the female rest in that bucket and fed her. I put an air stone in the bucket. About an hour later I did a water change in the bucket and let the female go back to the pond. She's acting normal, eating and swimming.

Has anybody tried this? what's the success rate?
How could she be spawning every few weeks anyway? The last time she spawned was 7-8 days ago (her last babies are 4-5 days old, I've been keeping an eye on them too)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't to do it. But I've always wanted my wakin to have a chance at being a daddy and I saw an opportunity lol.

I use 5 gallon bucket right now. I might do it wrong as I had a lot of water. I shouldn't have that much for this. But we will see. I saw some eggs already turned white so I'll take those out.

I don't know if having the air pump in the bucket would be too much current for the fry (when they hatch) or not. Any idea?

Reaction score
I didn't to do it. But I've always wanted my wakin to have a chance at being a daddy and I saw an opportunity lol.

I use 5 gallon bucket right now. I might do it wrong as I had a lot of water. I shouldn't have that much for this. But we will see. I saw some eggs already turned white so I'll take those out.

I don't know if having the air pump in the bucket would be too much current for the fry (when they hatch) or not. Any idea?

No idea. Keep us updated! This is so exciting!!! I guess they do this in a whole pond, so ..... some will survive for sure.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If the eggs are piled on top of one another, they might be deprived oxygen. This is particularly a risk when hand-stripping fish, as the eggs come out all at once. Most people mix the eggs and sperm without water first, and then sprinkle them over media to avoid this. I have never hand stripped myself but I have really been looking into it and learning as much as I can, because I plan on trying it at some point. I would think that even if it is a strong current, the airflow is better than suffocating! Keep us updated!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks Priscilla and Zman. I saw one baby today, which is weird.....The rest seems like some of them will be a baby and some will not. I'm starting to doubt my self as to why I used the hornwort that might've already got the eggs in it before I hand spawned. I thought I looked and there was no egg but I'm doubting myself now.

I came in a bit late so the female already laid a bunch of eggs and didnt have much left so I'm not so worried about them being on top of each other. The one that sink to the bottom on the other hand, might not get fertilized. But I did the male first then the female.

@dieselplower why do you think skip the air for now? I'm curious. I didnt see your reply until I'm at work here so they are having air right now until I get home this evening. Will it damage them somehow?

Reaction score
You sound like me, second guessing yourself. If you checked, I'm sure it was clear. The baby fish is your 'handy' work! Lol! This is exciting!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm super excited.. I'm not going to nurse these babies for long though, probably a few weeks, giving them a start then I'll put them in the pond. As long as they are longer than 1cm, they will be fine (my goldfish wont eat guppy frys so I'm quite sure they wont eat these, the guppies are the one eating the babies)

I'm going to try one more time the next time they spawn.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
go to walmarts and buy a skeen of yarn....make a spawn mop... move the egged up mop to a different tote, baby pool or whatever you want to use as a fry nursery pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Koiguy! I'm not sure how i'm going to do this so close to the winter. Next time will be the last time before it gets to be too late (I think) I probably will pick a few to go to my inside tank and let the rest of the fry, if any survive my nursing them that is, back in the pond so they at least have time to get used to the pond and can over winter by themselves. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's been more than a week and the frys are so active and eating and growing quick. I can already see some with bent spine :( I'll probably raise them a bit longer then put them in the big pond. Still dont see their tail but suspect all are normal single tail (not fantail) and I saw some that's super light and some's super dark so I think the light one are subbies.. is that right?

I actually did the hand spawning again the other day and got about 10 eggs. Most of the eggs hatched last night. I'm done with hand spawning for a long while!!

The new frys are doing fine, i'll start feeding them tonight, lightly then more tomorrow.

Ask a Question