I messed up bad and fish died...how long to wait

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Hello,

I write this with tears still in my eyes. I've had an outdoor pond that I hand built myself 12 years ago. I've had 3 of my fish since that time, 3 for 10 years ( a large bird ate 9 of my fish...pond has been netted ever since) and 4 that were babies of my fish and 3-4 years old. I LOVE these fish. But I messed up and accidently left the hose on when adding just a little water...then I left my house and returned several hours later to an overflowed pond and all my fish on the bottom, on their sides. Some appeared to still be alive but in dire straights so I did everything I could think of to help them. I scooped out water until the pond was about 3 inches from the top, then I added chlorine remover (Pond Start was all I had) and my daughter and I used a bucket to "scoop and pour water back in in an effort to aerate the water more to help release the gases. I have a waterfall with bio filter and a fountain pump also that were both on. But despite our efforts I woke up to all my fish being dead. I'm pretty sure they were already dead last night but I didn't want to give up hope so I left them overnight to see if any might survive but they didn't. I scoped them out this morning, before any could "oil" the pond and we had a proper burial. Now I need to know how long do I have to wait before I can add new fish to the pond? And should I change the filters in the fountain and bio bucket or just leave the current ones in? I just had feeder goldfish but they had gotten huge and I intend to get the same feeder fish this time as I did at the beginning. I live in CA and it's been in the high 80's -90's temperature wise if that makes a difference in wait time. My pond was always super healthy and pretty much took care of itself other then my cleaning and/or changing the filters when needed. I usually fed my fish once a day. Someone please help...I'm devastated at our loss but also eager to rescue some more feeder fish and start over but I want to give the new fish the best chance of survival and make sure all the extra chlorine and/or ammonia from all that extra hose water is gone and everything is back to "normal" before I add new fish. Sorry this was so long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Fishie Mom and I'm sorry about the loss of your pond fish. Accidents do happen and I think this is a frequent one.... although that doesn't make it any easier for you.

If your fish died of chlorine poisoning, then I know of no time limit for adding more fish....obviously make sure your pond water is chlorine free. You mentioned the temps in your area, try to acclimate your new fish with respect to water temperature.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Welcome Fishie Mom and I'm sorry about the loss of your pond fish. Accidents do happen and I think this is a frequent one.... although that doesn't make it any easier for you.

If your fish died of chlorine poisoning, then I know of no time limit for adding more fish....obviously make sure your pond water is chlorine free. You mentioned the temps in your area, try to acclimate your new fish with respect to water temperature.
Thank you. I'm going to go buy new test strips as I haven't had to use any in a very long time and the ones I have are old. I definitely want to make sure all the chlorine is gone before I add any new ones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and buy a water meter that turns the water off at a set time .I have a well and still use one faithfully ,because you never know when you may forget it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First determine whether you water supply contains Chlorine or Chloramine.
If it contains Chlorine, then that has all dissipated by the time you read this post. If Chloramine I would add the appropriate neutralizer to the pond.
The filters do not require any special attention.
Fish may be introduced at any time, but I would add only a couple at a time, in case there has been some damage to the bacteria in your biofilter (whiich will naturally recover given time).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
had the reverse at one point.
was in the middle of pond cleaning reno. had the few fish we had in a 100 gallon stock tank with a pump going for aeration and filtrations etc, had to pump out water a bit due to heavy rains, wife pumps some water out and turned off the pump not a big deal as i was gonna be home in a couple hours. She turned off pump and left. Well gravity kicked in and drained out 3/4 of the tank. didn't lose any fish,
I have done the same type of thing pulled hose from the pond to drain water from a bad rain and forgotten few times lost half the water in the pond one time i pretty much lost the pond didn't lose any fish ( yeah don't drink and drain ) .

Mistakes are learning experience's if you learn,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't be without

71031-5769b06edb73a87819359f23e39db147.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Mechanical-Water-Timer-56908/202819560

or

71032-c0e7d972310c73065ab4e9a7eae7e1b4.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-FP18-1...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P6GX509D77S662ASM2SY

Michael

Attachments

• 7a93365c-175c-4643-b39e-e0c83705914c_1000.jpg
    7a93365c-175c-4643-b39e-e0c83705914c_1000.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 200
  • 4128lO-0vWL._SY355_.jpg
    4128lO-0vWL._SY355_.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Welcome and buy a water meter that turns the water off at a set time .I have a well and still use one faithfully ,because you never know when you may forget it .
Thank you...yes, that is on my shopping list also. I don't ever want this to happen again :(

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
If it contains Chlorine, then that has all dissipated by the time you read this post. If Chloramine I would add the appropriate neutralizer to the pond.
Fish may be introduced at any time, but I would add only a couple at a time, in case there has been some damage to the bacteria in your biofilter (whiich will naturally recover given time).
Thank you very much! I'm contacting the water company now to see if I can find out.

Update: water company says only chlorine so that's a little good news.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-10_15-33-22.gif
@Fishie Mom and sorry for the loss of your beloved fish. Take it slow on adding the new fish as it takes a while for the water to cycle all over again. Get one of those water meters for sure. I have a water timer set for the same time every day to top off my pond for several minutes due to heat evaporation. I have a well tho, no city water.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
View attachment 103158@Fishie Mom and sorry for the loss of your beloved fish. Take it slow on adding the new fish as it takes a while for the water to cycle all over again. Get one of those water meters for sure. I have a water timer set for the same time every day to top off my pond for several minutes due to heat evaporation. I have a well tho, no city water.
Thank you. I have a waterfall pump that cycles the water about 5 times per hour. Hubby is on way to store for the timer and hopefully a meter (I don't see meter on website but will buy online if we can't find one). I only top off when needed from evaporation and pets drinking from the falls, not everyday but I'm definitely getting everything that can prevent this from ever happening again.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Thank you. I found out it's only chlorine which is a little bit of good news.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
View attachment 103158@Fishie Mom and sorry for the loss of your beloved fish. Take it slow on adding the new fish as it takes a while for the water to cycle all over again. Get one of those water meters for sure. I have a water timer set for the same time every day to top off my pond for several minutes due to heat evaporation. I have a well tho, no city water.
Thank you...we bought a timer today so this NEVER happens again. I'll be adding new babies tomorrow or Sunday.

Ask a Question