( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Yup, I messed up, big time.

so here I am happily ( more like tiredly but whatever ) shoveling dirt away, when I take a step back and realize there is simply no place for a waterfall or anything around the pond to balance it out from the ugly path my mom is requiring on one side of it.

I have been doing planning, so I am like, backup plan, build a small hill in between the two trees to define the pond area. go to take it to my mom ( as I have to do with everything for approval ) and turns out that it could kill the trees because you can't put dirt on top of a trees root system blah blah blah. Its true.

sooooo, I am stuck stuck stuck with what to do, I need ideas for the water movement source ( preferably under 200 dollars, not including rocks liner or pump, all things I have or can get for free. any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can we see pictures?

I mean, you could simply run the plumbing from the pump and bury the line, allowing it to discharge between a couple of rocks on the edge. With a little creativity it could look good. Or use a nice piece of driftwood and work that in to allow the water to flow over it into the pond. You can hide a multitude of sins with plants, driftwood and rock. Trust me - I know!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Can we see pictures?

I mean, you could simply run the plumbing from the pump and bury the line, allowing it to discharge between a couple of rocks on the edge. With a little creativity it could look good. Or use a nice piece of driftwood and work that in to allow the water to flow over it into the pond. You can hide a multitude of sins with plants, driftwood and rock. Trust me - I know!
I will add pics tomorrow when light comes to our side of the world again :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have seen people turn just about anything into a fountain or waterfall.
Big pots, planters, boulders, antique mechanical apparatus, just about anything antique. Just find a way to connect the hose from your pump to the item and with a little imagination you'll have an awesome fountain. Look around your yard, shed or garage. I'm sure you'll find something you can use. No need to spend a lot of money.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You'll hear many pro pond builders say they don't even try to draw out a plan before they start - ponds take shape as you build them. But one thing they always do is lay out and mark all the elements before they start digging - so word to the future pond builders out there... start with step one! You should have a GENERAL idea of where things are going to end up. @TheFishGuy - we'll give you a pass because, well, you're 12!

Hey, when you take those photos, I wanna see your mom's "ugly" path, too! Room to walk around a pond is extremely important and paths can be a lovely addition! I bet it's only half as ugly as you say it is!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree big pots, rocks etc make great fountains. Even just a decent size stack of rocks. One of my water falls is just stacked rocks, not even that high.

You will survive this!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
thanks all for your help, I am thinking of just doing a bunch of "random" bubbling rocks around the pond, and I do still need to figure out the bog placement, I think I have a better understanding that I really don't need to have a huge waterfall, and of course, down the road some aquascape stacked slate urns and spheres :)

here are pictures of the space, and one of the "ugly path" my mom wants to put in. It isnt there yet but they are all around the property. ( and a couple of the deer I ran into while taking them :)

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

These are only partially finished, still need to put edging on the other side. they are crusher fines at the base for support, they secure the rainbow chip, which is on top. the bottom path is the one going to the new chicken shed, yes the chickens will be living better than we are, rounded door and all ;) I think we almost have @Gemma beat for most spoiled chickens (y)

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

The pond area, not too good cause the sunrise is so bright, but the skinny side with the opening in the fence will be the path, and hopefully some chairs and a table around the apple tree.

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I actually like your "mom's ugly path" , I think after your pond is done, the path will make sense and look less plain.
I hope you'll post pics of the pond digging journey
smdigging.gif
Your place looks awesome!
....oh and don't forget to show the spoiled chickens
smhen.gif

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I actually like your "mom's ugly path" , I think after your pond is done, the path will make sense and look less plain.
I hope you'll post pics of the pond digging journeyView attachment 134464 Your place looks awesome!
....oh and don't forget to show the spoiled chickens View attachment 134463
my mom will thank you for your compliment :)

yup, I do have a construction thread going, and thanks! we got it like 10 years ago during the housing crash, 2.78 acres in the middle of the city! Now all we have is developers knocking on our door. :(

I will go get some pics of the today when we go out to give them there leftover steak :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll second that love of mom's paths - I love a good garden path! A path says "walk this way and see what's ahead!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks great!

Another idea...You could add a few spitters... Spitters you buy or you can make some.

I have a couple fish that spit water out of their mouths and a small statue of a lady pouring a jug. Water pours out of the jug.

Someone on this forum drilled a hole through a big rock, attached a hose and made a nice feature.

Look around for something you can turn into a spitter or fountain.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
i
Looks great!

Another idea...You could add a few spitters... Spitters you buy or you can make some.

I have a couple fish that spit water out of their mouths and a small statue of a lady pouring a jug. Water pours out of the jug.

Someone on this forum drilled a hole through a big rock, attached a hose and made a nice feature.

Look around for something you can turn into a spitter or fountain.
interesting! will keep that in mind! spitters sound like a great idea, and as long as i can find some that don't make my pond look like a grandmas pond ( cluttered up with random things shooting water ) then that could be a fun way to get some water movement in!

yes I call it a grandmas pond ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup, I messed up, big time.

so here I am happily ( more like tiredly but whatever ) shoveling dirt away, when I take a step back and realize there is simply no place for a waterfall or anything around the pond to balance it out from the ugly path my mom is requiring on one side of it.

I have been doing planning, so I am like, backup plan, build a small hill in between the two trees to define the pond area. go to take it to my mom ( as I have to do with everything for approval ) and turns out that it could kill the trees because you can't put dirt on top of a trees root system blah blah blah. Its true.

sooooo, I am stuck stuck stuck with what to do, I need ideas for the water movement source ( preferably under 200 dollars, not including rocks liner or pump, all things I have or can get for free. any suggestions?
Hey Fish guy. I agree with the posts above. Just hit a few rocks with water from a hose coming from a pump and your done! I’m going to show you a pic from my pond. There is a big sedge that has water spraying out on each side. On the right there is a pump sucking in water and spraying it on the left side. On the left side is a pump taking in water and spraying it on the right side. There is also an intake on the left side taking the water to an external pump and bead filter and then it comes out on the right side. What you don’t see is an air pump and bog pump feeding the far side of the pond. Its pretty easy to improvise even if you have a limited space!
2380687E-DA01-42A7-BE6D-0318BDF1E79C.jpeg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I really think you will appreciate having a path next to your pond. Easy access for viewing and working on your pond. Start searching for pictures to get some ideas on how to incorporate it with your pond. I thought I had a better picture of my path, but here is one from a couple of years ago.
Path.JPG

Ask a Question