I 'might' have too many plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
First chance I've had to grab some new pictures this month. I desperately need to thin out what's in the water... If only I could find the water?

img_7813.jpg

I'm sure its there somewhere...
img_7817.jpg

Keep going...
img_7819.jpg

Wait -- maybe?
This is what I have to deal with when trying to feed them every day. I think most of the food gets in the water though.
img_7823.jpg

It's not any better from the other side. There is a waterfall back there by the fence...
img_7833.jpg

At least the fish seem to be enjoying their seclusion. For reference, the irises to the left have some leaves standing nearly 7 feet above the ground -- and their bulbs are all down under water.
img_7844.jpg

The bench was a great idea last month. Now I can't see the main pond at all while sitting.
img_7847.jpg

So if anyone is in the area North of Denver and wants some irises or hardy umbrella, send me a private message. Sorry I don't have time to try and figure out shipping this year. I'll probably be listing on freecycle as well, this is just getting crazy...

Sorry fishies, but I want to be able to see you again!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aye Carumba, I see what you mean! You have your work cut out for you and lots of nice plants for lots of people!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, I guess I thought you were exaggerating you when you said some of the Iris's were over 7' tall. I thought to myself when you sent the pm that they must have grown a lot since I sent them and wish I could see a picture, LOT more growth than I expected. That looks like a jungle, Water looks crystal clear. Guess asking how the weather loaches have faired is out of the question. LOL BTW, I still like how it has turned out. Looks so different from winter to summer doesn't it? . :)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Aye Carumba again! That looks like a garden, not a pond! Fish look happy though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yeah, a HUGE difference between Summer and Winter pics! Having so many plants, they are definitely doing a good job of keeping the water clean. I rely on simple tests to judge my water -- if the water feels clean in my hand (not slimy), and if it smells clean (not stagnant), then I'm happy. Also because of the rearranging I did this Spring, the fish still have easy access from one end to the other, and I've been seeing them cruising up and down the stream every night.

My judgement on the height of the irises is based on standing right beside them. I'm just shy of 6' tall, and I'm looking up at the tops of those ones in the back. The clumps of yellow irises I believe are now approching a full 6' tall. They completely dwarf everything I've bought locally.

I'm not sure if any of the weather loaches are still surviving. I have not yet seen any this year. We made the decision to catch any that I find and move them in to our larger aquiariums, but so far nothing, although I also have not found any bodies. I'll keep an eye out for them though. There could be as many as 10 in there, but I'm starting to think the Winter temperatures are just too close to their tolerance.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Um, believe it or not, I can tell how clean the water is by the ripples it makes. Just experience and observation though, not magic.
Shdwdrgn said:
I rely on simple tests to judge my water -- if the water feels clean in my hand (not slimy), and if it smells clean (not stagnant), then I'm happy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, I thought mine was over grown! I cut way back on plants in the pond, hardly any floaters, just floating lilies. About 40% open water plus minus.

Great filtration you have going there! Those iris are unreal!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hide and seek pond but bet the water is clean ,what choice does it have to get dirty :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I finally got a chance to do a little "pond gardening" today. Cleaned the pumps, flushed the filters, and dredged up some stuff from the bottom. The water is going to be in bad shape until things settle out tomorrow, but at least I got rid of a lot of gunk. I also made my first major change to the plant arrangments...

This shot is from the same view as my second picture above. What I did was remove one huge clump of irises from the left side of the waterfall, then moved the umbrella plant that was in front of everything to fill the spot where the irises were at. Of course everything is kinda droopy right now, but in a few weeks the umbrella will be getting its roots into the new rocks and standing up straight again.
img_7848.jpg

My poor little blue grass has nearly died from lack of sunlight... hopefully now it will perk back up. But the main thing is I can actually see the waterfall again! I'm considering either removing or thinning back the lizard tail just behind the nearly-dead grass... I have another (larger) lizard-tail straight across on the other side of the pond, and this one is just blocking my view of half the large pond. I also plan on thinning or removing the clump of umbrella that is on the far right of the picture. Once all that is complete, I will be able to see most of the pond from this side, but it still leaves all the taller plants on the far side giving the fish shade from the afternoon sun.

Here's the clump of umbrella I moved (just to the left of center). The waterfall and filter barrel are completely hidden by the plant. Once they get rooted again, they will be as tall as the remaining irises, but the ledge they are sitting on drops straight to the bottom of the pond, so there will be very little room for the plant to try to spread out.
img_7850.jpg

Here's the clump of irises I took out. They are in a 6-gallon tub, and stand over 4 feet tall.
img_7853.jpg

And last, one of my calla lilies bloomed! This is the first time every a calla has bloomed in my yard, so I'm very excited!
img_7851.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very pretty calla, I have not tried them. Pond plants do grow darn well once they start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I picked up several calla bulbs from Walmart as they went on clearance. About 1/3 of the bulbs survived, so I think I have 6 or 7 that are growing now. The ones I planted around the yard in previous years failed miserably, I barely even got leaves to appear from them. These I started sitting about half way in the water, and let them grow for a few weeks before putting them in the dirt beside the pond. Seems to have done the trick!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now we can see your lovely pond and love the color of that Calla! I just have the solid yellow and white ones. They grow great here in our mild temps. Mine love lots of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I got an Easter-egg mix of bulbs, so I'll probably have a lot of pastel colors... No clue what is going to come up, but I hope to at least see white ones too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have planted day lilies along one length of fencing, around 50 feet, just from purging day lilies from the bog. They grew so well there.

Ask a Question