ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I found fry in my pond! they are small, about 0.5 in, and yellow with clear bellies. I had no idea my koi spawned... I've only seen two or three at a single moment, but have seem individuals all along the pond edge, so I am guessing(and hoping) there are more than that. This is my first spawn ever and I am super happy!

How long would you say it takes fry to reach half an inch?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! mine seemed to grow pretty fast

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wow! I have a second spawn! I just found a few dozen eggs on my water lettuce. Some of them were white and fuzzy, I tried to remove as many as possible. The rest are still on the water lettuce, and most are clear or semi-clear. I think the fish spawned yesterday, because I thought I saw the younger fish chasing each other around, and my water became quite slimy at the surface. I just noticed the eggs today, though. I have them in an aquarium with an air bubbler.

Reaction score
Congratulations, fry are so much fun. They will grow pretty quick but will stay hidden in the rocks and under plants for a few weeks. But if you watch everyday, like you most likely will do it feels like forever. lol It will take a few weeks before they venture out much. Go out in the evening with a flashlight and look along the edges. Mine would come out more when the sun set.

Mine are now about 2 inches and are competing with the adults for food. But they may be a couple months old by now.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I don't know how many of the eggs from this spawn will make it. A lot of them are beginning to turn fuzzy... Maybe the ones left in the pond will do better. I wish I had some methylene blue...

Oh well, I still have the little babies from the first spawn.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Stroppy, IS.......Correct!:bouncycig::fish:
Yes, white is is infertile, white and fuzzy is fungus. yellow is fertile.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The amber color of the egg is translucent and just before they hatch, if you look real close :squint:, you can see 2 black dots that are their eyes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.olympickoiclub.org/koicare/breeding.html

When you begin to see the growing koi's eyes in the egg - after one or two days - run a fine trickle of water into the incubation vat. The day before the koi hatches, the eyes in the egg will have a shine to them. Soon afterwards, the young koi will begin to wriggle then, gradually, over the next few hours, it will break out of its 'shell'. It will take three to four days for the koi eggs to develop and the fry to hatch at temperatures of 20-22C(68-7lF). Koi fry can develop at temperatures as low as l7C(63F), in which case their incubation will take five or six days, or as high as 25C(77F), which will decrease their hatching time. However, there is a greater chance of the fry being deformed at such extreme temperatures.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
On the 6th day, I carefully start to remove the media the eggs were stuck too. In my case, it is mostly string algae. This is a very painstaking process since the fry are so small you can barely see them.
I rinse the string algae in 4 seperate containers and let everything settle before I toss the water to make sure I save as many as possible.
You will want to have your brine shrimp hatcheries ready to go once the hatching is over so they will have good protein once the egg sac is gone.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My fry are doing well. Most are well over an inch now. I'm really happy. I'll probably catch most of the younglings and raise them inside this winter. Sorry for no pictures. I'm not a big photographer.

Ask a Question