I must be crazy...building 2nd pond 2 months after my first

Reaction score
After a few beers (a lot of stories start this way). I decided I wanted even less grass in the backyard and figured a 2nd pond was the answer.

I will update this thread with pic's as I go but it will be slower as I'm going to take my time on this one.

Day 1 (actually night was when I picked up the shovel and started)
Pic of first pond and where I started digging behind the patio
DSC02726.jpg

Pic of the the beginning of the hole (and beers)
DSC02725.jpg

Planning on 7' x 8' and 3' deep or 1300 Gallons (I would go bigger but I hit a fence and tree and figured cutting down a tree for pond was not a good trade off, plus would need more beer for that anyway)

Reaction score
Planning on making a skippy filter with this 60G pre-formed pond with spillway ($60CDN) http://www.algreenproducts.com/catalogue.php?cat=Preformed Ponds&id=91907

Already used this on the other pond and realized it's perfect for Skippy filter since spillway is already done. Drilling it for bottom drain is easy and I'm lucky that the rain run off drain is behind the mound of dirt so water changes are easily done into a drain in the back corner of my lot. It's got a plant shelf which is great for marginals in the skippy filter with bare roots to help filter. The bottom is nice shape to circulate water in a circle to get maximium contact with filter media.

I am using ceramic bags in the other pond so need to create some venturi jets to get good circulation into the new filter. Will post pic's of the new filter design.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
No your not crazy.....Your Hooked !!!!!!!

keep the pics coming on the progress

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If we were not on water rationing, I would be digging mine now. I have been warned about my water usage already. :banana:

Reaction score
LOL! Well, Newday, all I can say is that you've caught that pond disease....seems like a shovel is never far behind.

Congrats on your new dig. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

Reaction score
Is one ever really done with their pond(s). They are living things and they tend to spread. :toothy12: I know I started out with a little 150 gallon kit, had it 2 weeks and started planning my 1,000 gallon. Then once that was finished I ripped out the small pond, dug it larger and order a liner for a 300 gallon pond. Now I want to expand both of them in the future.:)

Reaction score
Little bit of progress I think 8 feet wide should fit towards the fence. Many roots to deal with and an old Satelite cable which needs to get cut off.

DSC02727.jpg

Reaction score
making slow progress but digging in 80+F is killer and 100% clay. it's about 8.5feet by 9 feet and 3 feet deep now. I think I'm going to keep digging and see how big I get. Likely aiming at 4 feet deep since the kids want to swim with the fish.

DSC02751.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry I was thinking of the Tetra 2250 http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/productdetail.aspx?id=1276&cid=405

That's a big difference in power but I think I know why. The pump I want can be used submerged or dry. when used dry I think pumps use more power since they can't water cool. Less power is used when submerged only. I think the Laguna is submerged only use which explains it's lower power rating.

Reaction score
New video of my progress. It's measuring 10 feet x 10 feet x and 4 - 5 feet deep in the middle with average around 3.3 feet deep. It's approx 2500 Gallons. I ran out of room digging towards the fence and hit a post on the right and tree on the left. I would have kept digging but I also broke my shovel in half. The metal gave up on me and broke. I took that as a sign it's time to stop digging now. I estimate 20 hours of digging over several weeks in 100% clay and I'm getting tired of digging now, next pond will be a backhoe for sure.

Here's a video of the hole in the ground with plant shelf and location of the water fall with skippy pre-formed pond 60G where I think I will build the waterfall.

Next step is pre-liner and liner purchase and get it all level all the way around.

[ame]

Ask a Question