I need help and suggestions!

Reaction score
I really would appreciate some suggestions. I installed a new pond last June and I experienced some problems I am clueless how to fix. Water clarity and Zero plant growth. Of course I had green water June and July. I installed a somewhat cheap UV light and had some success, but have never seen the bottom of the 2 – 4 ft depth, not even now. I am in Pa. and just starting to plan what I can do to solve my plant and clarity problems. I’ll explain my setup. There are 3 pond chambers, an upper 500 gal ”filter” pond which spills over to a middle 500 gal “plant filter” pond, which spills into the main 5 - 6000 gal pond.
A 4500 GPM submersible pump pumps water to the Upper “filter” pond. Water enters the bottom 1 1/2” fitting of a 100 gal submerged Rubbermaid stock tank with 200# lava rock as the first layer, 3 cu ft PVC shavings as the next layer, and on top of everything, a 2” thk fiber pad. The next 500 gal shallow pond downstream was to be a natural plant filter filled with floating plants such as hyacinths. Water then “waterfalled” into the main large pond.
We added some sort of bacteria liquid that was supposed to get the “correct” water balance started. Zero results after $100 for the liquid. I purchased approx 100 beautiful lush water hyacinths throughout the summer. Most eventually dyed and shriveled up. Zero growth whatsoever from the hyacinths. Most lillys and other potted plants survived, but no real growth as compared to others ponds. The water never cleared up and was different shades of mainly greenish , some brownish colors the entire year, even after the 30 watt uv light was added in late july and was on 24/7.
I have a gut feeling that I have too many fish in the pond, maybe that’s contributing to my problem. My biggest concern is the stunted plant growth. Zero growth for hyacinth seems really bad to me. We had the water tested but to no avail. Does the green algae compete with the hyacinths for whatever nutrients are in the water.? Do I have too many fish? Is my filter method inadequate?
I purchased several “blowup ring” type swimming pools to store the water while I clean all 3 ponds next month and do some maintenance and “muck” cleaning as well as some fish “thinning”. Any suggestions to help would be greatly appreciated.

What could be wrong?

Mark and Jessie

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, going to need to think on this one! If you can add some pictures of your set up it will help everybody help you. Makes it easier to visualize.

animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif

How many fish to you have approximately, are they koi or goldfish?

Reaction score
This is a description of my pond setup.

Attachments

• pond.doc
    136 KB · Views: 305

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you dont say how many fish you have in there ? also that top filter how often do you clean it ? also is there leaves and muck on the bottom of your ponds ? i think we need a lot more info and some photos would be good :0)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Get rid of that filter and put in a simple bio filter without the rock and other stuff. Use water lettuce if you can get it. I quit growing whater hyacinth because it is too much trouble and eventually become a polluter when it starts to die off. More trouble than its worth.
My water is crystal clear 365 days a year, I have 10 large Koi amd 10 smaller in about 1800 gallons. Plants grow like crazy and the fish are healthy.
Oh and keep the bottom clean, use a net and pickup tool to keep it clean.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Get rid of that filter and put in a simple bio filter without the rock and other stuff. Use water lettuce if you can get it. I quit growing whater hyacinth because it is too much trouble and eventually become a polluter when it starts to die off. More trouble than its worth.
My water is crystal clear 365 days a year, I have 10 large Koi amd 10 smaller in about 1800 gallons. Plants grow like crazy and the fish are healthy.
Oh and keep the bottom clean, use a net and pickup tool to keep it clean.

I was under the assumption that my system was a bio filter. Am I wrong? I do have water letuce growing in the greenhouse now. Thats what I planned to "top" off my filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
try quilt batting to pick up smaller particles my fav stuff .What kind of salt content do you have in pond when my salts to high plants die ooops sorry welcome mgeez

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You are right! The problem I see with many filtration systems is the more complex ones seem to be in the ponds with the most problems. I have kept my pond simple and it works for me. I get hundreds of vistors each year. The common denominator to all the problems I hear, is complex and expensive commercial filtration systems.
With the Doc Bio filter, all the trapped gunk is held in the vortex created in the bottom of the 55 gallon drum. The dump valve removes it in seconds. Your system traps it and then returns it to the pond through your upper pond. Good circulation in the ponds and a simple bio filter with a dump valve should take care of the conditions you have described.
When that water lettuce is ready, get it into the pond and shoot for 60% coverage.
An occasional batting fines filtration as sissy mentioned helps get particles out of solution as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
less is more as DrDave says make it easier on your self not harder .I have a clean out to but some times forget but when I flush it tons of dirty gunk comes out and I'm amazed by the junk, I use a bucket under it and put the gunk on my flowers and they love it .Jw would love that cute puppy in real life .I do the greatest sin to though shhh I use lava rock too .lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry but I love my lava rock can't help it as I hang my head in shame as I look at my clean water and just bought 2 more bags bad girl aren't I . It has been the only thing that works for me here:lavalamp:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember those lava lamps from back in the late 60's or 70's :lol:
I never had one tho :lol:

Ask a Question