I need help asap!!!!

Reaction score
I had 12 of my fish die. Put in a fish safe algea control and active charcoal. The charcoal is between two filters. this is an established pond. Another tyhing that may help, instead of floating, the fish are sinking.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Settle down and tell us everything.
Did you add the charcoal after they died?
Did you add this algae control before they died.?
Did you read the instructions before adding chemicals to your pond?

Reaction score
Yes, read the instructions. Followed them too;) All the fish are now dead with the exception of my pleco. I added the algae control and the active charcoal before they all died. Like 4 days before. Something there must have killed them but I don't know which one. The pond is empty now. I am going to scrub everything thoroughly and refill. I did an "autopsy". The one I did didn't eat the active carbon, but guess what. She was full of eggs:bye2:. When I refill it I am buying some more fish and let them set for about a week before I restock. I had these babies for 4 yrs. I'm pretty upset. The algae control states on the bottle "not harmful to fish or plants", but I don't know. What really got me was the yellowish tint to the water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I hate it that you lost your fish, that said, this is another reason why I do not add chemicals to my ponds. :banana: Algae control comes with proper pond managment, not out of a bottle.

Over time, all these chemicals combine into a coctail that your fish have to live in.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your fish ..can i ask what make of algea control you were using ?and did you add that and the charcoal at the same time ? only i thought charcoal was for taking things out of your pond, and suely that would take out the algea control stuff too ... im afraid i cant be much help as im still learning

Reaction score
yea, this algae just came out of the blue. The whole year I have not had any all year, and then all of a sudden, boom. I had planned on going through my maintance, then they died. I have biological media, a tetra pf 1, 3 pumps with built in filters. All filters get cleaned once a week. That is why I couldn't figure out why this algae, green water, came from no where. I plan on a total scrub down of all components of my pond. My spillway, all filters and cases. My pf1, and my liner. Should I fill this a couple of time, and flush. Just to make sure I have all contaminates out, or will that be overkill?

Algae control Chemicals:

Brand: API Aquarium Pharmacueticals

It is called Algaefix.

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
Did you do all of the normal water tests? Amonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite? Did they all die at once or over a period of time?

Reaction score
Never done a water test. I know, I am bad. But I have never had a problem for four years. They all died in a four day span of time. I have started the scrubbing of everything. It is looking like a two day job. I am scrubbing EVERYTHING, since obviously nothing currently in it has any beneficial attributes to fish.:(

Reaction score
I think I may have found what did it. A patch to my liner that I did pulled right of. The "glue" had not set properly. This poses a whole new set of problems if it is the case. This chemical compound has been flowing through all of my filters and tubing!!!! Will flushing them take care of it or will I need to replace everything? Hopefully I can just flush, replacing will be expensive and nearly impossible on the tubing.

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to give you bad advice. My impression would be that scrubbing and flushing it out would be sufficient. Not knowing how much glue you used, I would have thought that 1000+ gallons would have diluted it to nontoxic levels.
Make sure you get a good water test kit. Personally, I prefer the chemical types over the test strips.

Reaction score
Keep your fins crossed!!!! I refilled after scrubbing for 3 days solid. I scrubbed everything twice!!! I bought 4 koi, at $2.49 a piece and 6 Shubunkins. Found some really cool ones. Hopefully my new babies make it. If so, I am buying more. I will know in 4 days. Also, I have 3 lillies. I bought some kind of water plant that is very leafy. Will this be enough to make my koi happy? Anybody feed them fruit? What is a good koi "treat" Never had them before, crossing a new bridge. Thanks.

Ask a Question