I need help choosing the right aerator for my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone.
I am looking to get an aerator installed in my pond, which is over 50,000 gallons. I want something powerful enough to do the job. It will be installed in about 8 feet of water. I'm guessing something that will take water from near the bottom, and have it spray up above the water. Would this require 110 or 220 volts? What stabilizes it in the water? Any links to a good supplier and models would be appreciated. Keep in mind I know nothing at all about aerators. You can probably already tell by my questions. :D

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What you want is a diffuser.
images

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Howdy Mike!

livingwateraeration.com shows eight types of aeration systems in a wide range of prices (view the "aeration systems" page). They at least lay out your options for you. I look forward to hearing what you choose to do.

I also hope you're still interested in planting some rainbows this year. It's probably best to do it soon, while your water is cold and oxygen-rich.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know CE is is wanting a windmill aerator .They show several models on you tube and there is great one that works great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think so. I'll place it in the deepest spot I can find. I guess I would place a rock in each corner, to hold it in place? I hope the water warms up some, within the next week. It would be kinda cold diving in the pond right now. I gotta find that plastic chair that blew in the pond a few days ago too. lol

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think so. I'll place it in the deepest spot I can find. I guess I would place a rock in each corner, to hold it in place? I hope the water warms up some, within the next week. It would be kinda cold diving in the pond right now. I gotta find that plastic chair that blew in the pond a few days ago too. lol
The diffuser assembly should already be weighted as should the air supply hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, the Aerator is running. I hand set the diffuser. The dive computer said I reached a depth of 12 feet and the water was a balmy 46 degrees. It only took me 4 tries. lol visibility in the bottom was just about zero. I lost it the first time, then I didn't have enough weight to get down. I forgot to add for the 7 mil suit, hat and gloves. The 3rd time it wasn't in quite the right spot. After I got it where I wanted to, I had to feel to make sure it was upright and level. I'm going to check the depth in various spots. It recommends setting it at about 10 to 12 feet, in a 15 foot deep pond. It took about 24 hours, now the water is circulating slowly, counter clockwise around the pond. The fish are loving it, and eating like mad. I'm glad I went with the larger size. Also, the housing that comes with the deluxe model is nice. It even has a fan to keep the compressor cool. If I get another diffuser and weighted line, I can do the same with the lower pond. here's a few pics.
aerator%20pics%20001.jpg

aerator%20pics%20002.jpg

aerator%20pics%20006.jpg

aerator%20pics%20013.jpg

aerator%20pics%20022.jpg

aerator%20pics%20023.jpg

aerator%20pics%20026.jpg

aerator%20pics%20027.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So, the Aerator is running. I hand set the diffuser. The dive computer said I reached a depth of 12 feet and the water was a balmy 46 degrees. It only took me 4 tries. lol visibility in the bottom was just about zero. I lost it the first time, then I didn't have enough weight to get down. I forgot to add for the 7 mil suit, hat and gloves. The 3rd time it wasn't in quite the right spot. After I got it where I wanted to, I had to feel to make sure it was upright and level. I'm going to check the depth in various spots. It recommends setting it at about 10 to 12 feet, in a 15 foot deep pond. It took about 24 hours, now the water is circulating slowly, counter clockwise around the pond. The fish are loving it, and eating like mad. I'm glad I went with the larger size. Also, the housing that comes with the deluxe model is nice. It even has a fan to keep the compressor cool. If I get another diffuser and weighted line, I can do the same with the lower pond. here's a few pics.
aerator%20pics%20001.jpg

aerator%20pics%20002.jpg

aerator%20pics%20006.jpg

aerator%20pics%20013.jpg

aerator%20pics%20022.jpg

aerator%20pics%20023.jpg

aerator%20pics%20026.jpg

aerator%20pics%20027.jpg

That's the ticket!

Ask a Question