I need help in setting up a solar power system for my pond

Reaction score
hey everyone ,

I have constructed a 350 gallon pond. I want to set up a solar power filtration system, any idea. thank you

I was thinking of getting a 40watt 12v solar panel but I don't know which pump to get or controller. I would also like to get a back up battery so it can run a few hours in the night. The pond it above ground, its about a 1 meter lift from the ground.

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone using one. It is important to run the pump and filter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Otherwise, you risk killing the beneficial bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite. Also turning the pump off at night is a bad idea because if the pond oxygen levels get lower and lower as the night goes on in a planted pond or pond with algae due to photosynthesis (or lack of...)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@shawn250 Have you Googled this? I'll bet there is a lot of information out there, including some good YouTube videos.

As dieselplower said, you need to be sure there is power at night if you have fish -- your battery would need to hold enough of a charge for this. [Or maybe you could run something AC on a timer so it would only come on at night....that way you wouldn't totally defeat the purpose of having solar]

Let us know if you come up with anything. A 350 gallon pond is nice and small and would be a manageable size to experiment with..... [ @dieselplower yes, I used the "E" word again! LOL!]

Reaction score
@shawn250 Have you Googled this? I'll bet there is a lot of information out there, including some good YouTube videos.

As dieselplower said, you need to be sure there is power at night if you have fish -- your battery would need to hold enough of a charge for this. [Or maybe you could run something AC on a timer so it would only come on at night....that way you wouldn't totally defeat the purpose of having solar]

Let us know if you come up with anything. A 350 gallon pond is nice and small and would be a manageable size to experiment with..... [ @dieselplower yes, I used the "E" word again! LOL!]

I got a general idea how to do this just the hardware advice needed as there is so much stuff out there...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Harbor freight sells kits and all the parts .You tube has video's of how to set up solar systems also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh OK did not know where you were at .Have you put on the amazon or ebay sight for solar home do it yourself kits .I saw several

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
saw a 60 watt kit for less than 300 dollars and it came with everything and they have 2 video's sunforce 50048 any pump will work and you would need at least a 350 gph or a little more.It plugs into it just like your regular electric outlet no difference

Last edited:
Reaction score
saw a 60 watt kit for less than 300 dollars and it came with everything and they have 2 video's sunforce 50048 any pump will work and you would need at least a 350 gph or a little more.It plugs into it just like your regular electric outlet no difference

Thank you. I will take a look at it

Ask a Question