I need HELP Please....

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
OK...totally drained the pond today. WOW! Can't seem to get this right. My pond is 2000 gals. No fish yet. Went today and added some plants and messed that up....Turned the pond into a muddy mess. So....drained it and starting over. How long do I need to wait to add any fish. How many should I start out with? How do you add plants. I do not have a "bog" area. I'll be adding mine in containers. I totally did it wrong. So now my "cycling" has to start all over, etc.......Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok, first off, maybe not as bad as you thought. Actually this is the best time to get your plants done now. Any other time draining and starting over is a complete no no. A easy way to stop mudding up the pond is to put a layer of clean pea gravel or larger if your planning on Koi on top of your planting media. I use a small layer of pea gravel then top it with larger river rock. First this keeps the dirt or kitty litter or what ever your using in the pot,(BTW, I recommend against using dirt, or bagged planting material that is designed for house plant use) second rocks in the top of the pot makes it harder for the Koi or other fish to dig in the pot once it is in the pond.
Planting media I do recommend using, Aquatic plant media, available at most places that sell pond plants, also can be found at some Lowe's and home depot. 100% pure clay kitty litter, tidy cat. works great but needs to be thoroughly rinsed or it will cloud the water! We have a dealer here that highly recommends using river sand for planting media, For lilys it works great and it doesn't mud up the pond nearly as bad, but again with koi you have to put something where they won't dig in the pot. River sand, must be clean and of a known source that it is safe, ( My dealer actually recommends cooking the sand at 300 degrees for one hour to kill anything in the sand that night contain parasites or bacteria) Do not use playsand or sand for mixing with cement, It's not the same and it doesn't do good at all! Pea gravel itself also works good for plants like Taro's, Pickerel rush,Thalia, Iris's and such as they will grow their roots out of the pot and it gives the fish a place to lay eggs and young fish will use them for protection.
For Lily's I recommend using pots that do not have holes in the bottom, a cheap pot is buying new oil change pans, the low profile works great for them and they can be found at dollar stores for about $2 each. Plants that are marginal I prefer using aquatic plant baskets, the roots can grow out through the basket
Now for the pond, If your going to drain and clean and start with sparkling clean water, This is the time to get the plants in place, do all your decorating then make this the last drain. Once you have started with fish and cycled the pond this is something you DO NOT want to drain the pond. Stirred up sediment and particles will settle and clear up in a well planted good filtrating pond. In most cases that should only take between a day and a few days depending on how well the pond the pond is filtered and how established the plants are.
I always suggest to fill the pond, wait 24-48 hours to allow the temp to settle. Be sure and use a good dechlorinator. get your ph and GH and KH set. This is easy to do when you have no fish and new water. Once fish are added everything needs to be adjusted very slowly. Ok, now your water is filtering, all your water checks come in good. Now is when you want to add some very inexpensive fish. I recommend using regular goldfish. They are hardier and this is going to be a hard time for any new adds. Koi do not do well at this time. Now wait, and monitor for ammonia, Feed very lightly maybe once a day during this time, In most case it takes about 4-6 weeks for the pond to cycle. When it starts to cycle you will start reading ammonia on your test kit, it may get kind of high, It's normal, You'll start seeing the ammonia go down after several days, start testing for nitrites, they will climb high and then drop down. Once this all takes place then the nitrates will start showing up. this means the bacteria have now caught up with the fish load in the pond. start feeding the starter fish more. Pump them up and feed them small amounts but two or three times a day. This makes them poop more, the more they poop the stronger the filter system gets. By this point your pond should be about 2-2 1/2 months old. now you can start adding choice fish. If you will only add two or three once every week to two weeks it will allow the filter to catch up each time to the new fish load. I highly recommend quarantining any fish for at least three weeks and four would be better before adding to the pond, this give you time to fully inspect the fish, if something shows up that they are sick or have disease you can treat them in a smaller area and not contaminate your pond. I've used this technique for many years and have helped many people start their ponds with success. there are other methods for sure. to me this is the most simple for new ponders. Remember these two tips. Patience is a key, don't get in a hurry adding fish, don't make drastic changes, always take baby steps and you'll be fine. second and most important. Unless it is an emergency and you have to do something right then, wait and ask someone before assuming you need to do something. Don't drain the pond, don't medicate, don't start using additives that are suppose to fix the pond right off, take the time to find out for sure if what your doing is right. 6-12 hours of waiting for an answer might save you $$, heartache and lots of labor that was needed to done. Plus, your fish will far more likely to reach a ripe ole age. Hope this helps, good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin, That is great info. I learn something new every time I read one of your posts. Where were you when I first started my pond?

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Thank you so much "Fishin4cars" for all the information. Very helpful!! I like the kitty litter/pea gravel idea...no more dirt in my pond. Building the pond was the easy part, I've learned. :) I appreciate you...Have a great weekend all......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks fishin good post like usual!

Walmart had cheap pure clay cat litter in the red bag. Nice and cheap oil pans for plants. I also bought some tubs with the rope handles for 4 bucks for the lotus.

Since your pond is so new, like mine, you might want to add some plant tabs for food for them. I have a ton of plants in mine and no dirt at all, the dirt just makes a mess.

Iris can be just put in some rocks along the edge, they grow great roots that help filter the water. I also stuck a taro in the rocks, some parrot feathers. You can make mini bogs, by just have pots that allow water flow through them, if cheap like me...........well thrifty............take land plant pots the black ones, drill holes in them. 1/4 inch and use for the pond.

Keep trucking you will get there, your pond is beautiful.

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Thank you addy1....Great info. And love being "thrifty". I think I'll try the kitty litter and rocks. I like the the idea of drilling holes in the pots for a mini bog. Going to try to get this back on the right track this weekend. :arrow:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my plants and soil in a piece of mesh then put them in the pot then cover them with either pea gravel or smaller rocks I have around that I clean well .The pea gravel comes in a bag so make sure you clean it before you put it in the pots because there is always sand and junk in the bags .I sometimes think they do that to add weight to the bags .not enough pea to much gravel lol:lol::arrow:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and also make sure you have test kit and test your water and if you have a place where they test water you can take it there as there tests are print outs that are well detailed and for little cost .My test at a local pet store went down he now charges 2.50 for them and the print out is still the same .But you need a test kit at home also and be prepared for anything and everything that could happen .also well water or city water

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Thanks Sissy. Haven't bought one yet (test kit)...but I will. I have a pool, and I'm always taking my pool water in to the local store...I'm sure they would test my pond for me. One question....when I test it and it's all out of sorts....how do I know what to do?? With the pool...it's adding chemicals. But with a Koi Pond??? What???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pet store I take mine too goes over it with me and gives me suggestions of what to do .They know my pond by now and how I filter it so that helps .Get to know them at a local pet store that test your water and they will get to know you and how your pond works and what to use .Most pool places are not set up to test pond water and will maybe guide you to a local pet store that can help you .Test kits are ok and I use them 2 or 3 times a week at different times of day .Keep records of your test in a book ,I have a file cabinet with 1 drawer just for my pond info in it .It helps when you are looking for something to have it all in 1 place .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Karen said:
Thanks Sissy. Haven't bought one yet (test kit)...but I will. I have a pool, and I'm always taking my pool water in to the local store...I'm sure they would test my pond for me. One question....when I test it and it's all out of sorts....how do I know what to do?? With the pool...it's adding chemicals. But with a Koi Pond??? What???

If you run into problems ask a lot here are very knowledgeable and will be able to help you.

Instead of pea gravel, go the cement area of home depot and get the construction gravel, it has variable sizes, less dirt and cheaper than pea gravel. Still around the size of the pea gravel though.

pm me your email and I can send you a email I have that might help you with your water testing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
addy1 said:
thanks fishin good post like usual!

Walmart had cheap pure clay cat litter in the red bag. Nice and cheap oil pans for plants. I also bought some tubs with the rope handles for 4 bucks for the lotus.

Since your pond is so new, like mine, you might want to add some plant tabs for food for them. I have a ton of plants in mine and no dirt at all, the dirt just makes a mess.

Iris can be just put in some rocks along the edge, they grow great roots that help filter the water. I also stuck a taro in the rocks, some parrot feathers. You can make mini bogs, by just have pots that allow water flow through them, if cheap like me...........well thrifty............take land plant pots the black ones, drill holes in them. 1/4 inch and use for the pond.

Keep trucking you will get there, your pond is beautiful.

Addy, I wouldn't suggest adding plant tabs just yet, The added fert. in a new pond can cause the water to to have to much nitrogen and cause a big algae bloom, I like to tell folks to wait to fert. until after the pond ahs cycled. the plants may not start off growing quite as fast but eliminating that step for now may help keep the green water down during the cycle period. Don't want her empting the pond to clear that up too. LOL

Karen said:

Karen, You may get lucky and they know what to do. better bet is get it checked and come here or to a place that deals with fish on a regualr basis to adjust pond water. fact is, Ponders learn how to adjust water a lot more safely and cheaper than pool folks do. But by having a pool, and a pond you should take a course/do some research in water chemistry and balance. You'll find they have some very similar yet very different ways to adjust and stabalize your water. One thing I highly recommend, Everything for the pool, stays by the pool, everything for the pond stays near and needs to be labeled FOR POND USE ONLY! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use, buckets, nets, hoses, nothing that is being used in the pool or near pool chemicals in the pond. I have pool and ponds too. I already made that mistake several years ago. PLEASE, hear the warning. It only takes a little goof up with pool chemicals to kill everything in the pond.

Ask a Question