I need help with my Trapdoor Snails!

Reaction score
So I recently renovated my little backyard pond that came with the house I bought. It's been about a month since I did basically an 80% water change. When I moved in there were two 5 inch goldfish in the pond and we have about 10 in there now. Anyway, to help cut down on the algae we got 15 Trapdoor snails. We've had them in there about 2 weeks and I recently had a huge algae bloom. We got it under control and I've noticed that at the tip of their spirals their shells seem to be eroding away! The dark brown color they normally are seem to giving way to a white coloration. I just tested my water and the ph is about 7.8. The alkalinity is moderate but the nitrites are through the roof. I just did a 50% water change as a precaution.

I'm new to this. I really need some help. I don't want those little guys to die. They're all super active and eating algae constantly. Same with all the fish, extremely active.

If I add a calcium source will that mess up the water chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My trapdoors are in a ph of 7.6 or so, hardness of around 120 they seem to be doing fine, all looking good and have lots of babies. From what I am reading on the net it is from too soft of water. I do keep chicken grit in my bog to raise the hardness of the water. With out the grit the water is around 40 or so with the grit it sits around 120.

Ask a Question