ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I'm making a planted water garden pond.
It's about 1,500 gallons. Itll have water lillies and I'd like a few hundred colorful livebearers to place in it.
But I'm not interested in spending several dollars or more per fish. I know I've seen mixed livebearers sold before as "feeders".
Does anyone have any idea how I can find a deal?
I'm in south Florida BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why buy several hundred? If you start with only one pair and you have plenty of places for the fry to hide, you should have hundreds in a few months time.

Buy a few nice pairs that you really like and let them populate your pond. Personally I would rather have fewer nice fish than hundreds of someone else's culls.

They will all reproduce and you soon will be overrun with them. It's easier to place pretty, colorful, fancy looking fish than the generic ones. You might even be able to sell the extras to a local fish store.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Why buy several hundred? If you start with only one pair and you have plenty of places for the fry to hide, you should have hundreds in a few months time.

Buy a few nice pairs that you really like and let them populate your pond. Personally I would rather have fewer nice fish than hundreds of someone else's culls.

They will all reproduce and you soon will be overrun with them. It's easier to place pretty, colorful, fancy looking fish than the generic ones. You might even be able to sell the extras to a local fish store.
That's actually something I hadn't considered.
Yeah. I could have a nearly 100% survival rate in there.
I'll do just that. I'll get 3 nice males and 7 nice females

Attachments

• 20220110_144722.jpg
    20220110_144722.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like a great habitat for raising fry.

Please share what fish you decide to get. I'm partial to fancy guppies myself.

Ask a Question