I need some help and suggestions from the experts. Looking to install an urn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a pondless waterfall I wanted something different. I removed everything and cleaned out the old concrete. I filled up the space with river rocks and paver base at the top. I was going to do pavers and then put a water feature on top, but decided I needed to do more research before I did that. Below are the specs of the area I am working in.

The forward brick wall is 28 inches high
The length of the brick wall is about 68 inches to center a total of 136 inches.
The depth of the space is only 59 inches.

I want to install an Urn and I can't decide on which one to use for this space. I have purchased the AquaBasin 30, as the AquaBasin 45 does not fit in the space.

The picture I have used is the reference for the small urn. The small urn is 32 inches tall, which will be 5 inches taller than the example photo. I am worried it won't have a nice look to it. Wife thinks it will be too small.

The medium urn (the one I would like to purchase) will be 45 inches tall.

Aquascapes recommends the AuqaBasin 45 with the medium urn to catch all of the run off. To make up for the smaller basin, I was going to slope the area and line the slope back into the water basin. Creating a circle around the earn and having a liner flow all the water back into the smaller basin.

What size should I make the splash radius if I purchase the medium sized urn?

What would you recommend that I do?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here is the link to the urns from Amazon.

Thank you for your time. I hope I gave a detailed post to answer any questions that you may have.

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 270
  • earn1.jpg
    earn1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 285
  • earn2.jpg
    earn2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 246
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 237
  • aqua_basins.JPG
    aqua_basins.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 224

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked to see if you can use 2 urns .A lso if you get a smaller pump then you can use this urn and the smaller water basin .You really don't need the basin if you use a liner under the urn and then use crates as your basin and to hold the urn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you checked to see if you can use 2 urns .A lso if you get a smaller pump then you can use this urn and the smaller water basin .You really don't need the basin if you use a liner under the urn and then use crates as your basin and to hold the urn

I don't want to use two urns. I have a lot of rock already in the area and don't want to excavate more than I have to. I believe the basin will be enough for what I am wanting to do. I am hoping I can use the aquabasin 30 and slope the area needed back to it using the medium sized urn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am creating a basin for a water feature. I plan on having the basin a half of inch lower than the rest of the area. The idea is to have rain and splash zone water roll back into the black basin you see in the picture. I have watched a lot of videos on this. Where should I cut the liner when it reaches the basin? Should I leave 2 inches on top of the basin? Best way to secure it?

Attachments

• basin.jpg
    basin.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 239
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I'm not sure if your plan is viable. I don't know how you'll create a "slope" with liner over gravel. I think the water will sit on top of the liner and run off every which way. I guess you could attempt to attach the liner to the basin, but it's really not designed for that. If you've watched a lot of videos on this installation, what do they suggest you do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm... I'm not sure if your plan is viable. I don't know how you'll create a "slope" with liner over gravel. I think the water will sit on top of the liner and run off every which way. I guess you could attempt to attach the liner to the basin, but it's really not designed for that. If you've watched a lot of videos on this installation, what do they suggest you do?

The gravel at the top can easily be moved and slope towards the basin. I imagine the spill zone isn't much with a med urn. I am looking to catch all the water that falls in that picture, including rain. The other videos have a larger basin and slopped liners as well. They used the crates.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gravel won't provide a solid foundation the way dirt would. Anyone stepping or walking on the gravel could potentially cause a shift that would allow water to run off in another direction.

If you're looking to capture rainwater, do you plan to have liner in the entire area?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gravel won't provide a solid foundation the way dirt would. Anyone stepping or walking on the gravel could potentially cause a shift that would allow water to run off in another direction.

If you're looking to capture rainwater, do you plan to have liner in the entire area?

Nobody will be walking in that area. It's against a retaining wall. Yes, plan to use a liner for entire area.

Ask a Question