I Need Some Need Help, Please !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
My name is Lisa and I am completely lost as to what to do. My dad built a beautiful pond with a waterfall in my parents backyard about 10 years ago. He passed away about 5 years ago and the pond hasn't had any care since. What was once a peaceful calming place to be is now full of green, dirty water and weeds. My mom has been so sad since my dad died that she just doesn't feel like bothering with it. She mentioned the other day that she's thinking of just filling it up with dirt and destroying what my dad worked so hard at and was so proud of.
Thats when I decided I need to do something. Iv'e decided to get the pond back up and running. What I thought would be pretty simple is a lot harder than it looks.

I plugged in the pump today which is at the opposite side of the waterfall and put the hose in to fill the pond to the top. The waterfall started to, well, fall, but it's a lot slower than when my dad had it going. There is a big plastic container that is at the top of the waterfall that I'm assuming is where the water is being pumped into. There are filters in there and a black tubing with small holes in it.

Is it possible that there might be dirt and leaves inside the pipes that is keeping the flow from moving faster. If that is the case how do I clean it out?

I have a lot more questions but I think I will start with that one. I will post a pic as soon as I go back to my moms and take one. Probably tomorrow.

Thanks so much for any advice that is given. (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My name is Lisa and I am completely lost as to what to do. My dad built a beautiful pond with a waterfall in my parents backyard about 10 years ago. He passed away about 5 years ago and the pond hasn't had any care since. What was once a peaceful calming place to be is now full of green, dirty water and weeds. My mom has been so sad since my dad died that she just doesn't feel like bothering with it. She mentioned the other day that she's thinking of just filling it up with dirt and destroying what my dad worked so hard at and was so proud of.
Thats when I decided I need to do something. Iv'e decided to get the pond back up and running. What I thought would be pretty simple is a lot harder than it looks.

I plugged in the pump today which is at the opposite side of the waterfall and put the hose in to fill the pond to the top. The waterfall started to, well, fall, but it's a lot slower than when my dad had it going. There is a big plastic container that is at the top of the waterfall that I'm assuming is where the water is being pumped into. There are filters in there and a black tubing with small holes in it.

Is it possible that there might be dirt and leaves inside the pipes that is keeping the flow from moving faster. If that is the case how do I clean it out?

I have a lot more questions but I think I will start with that one. I will post a pic as soon as I go back to my moms and take one. Probably tomorrow.

Thanks so much for any advice that is given. (n)

When was the last time both your pond and filtration have been cleaned out , I'll bet it ws quite a while ago now.
Filters can loose flow if they are not cleaned on a regular basis each season once in Late Spring , Once mid summer and lastly in Autumn , the pond itself must be kept clear of detritus dead leaves etc again on a seasonal basis , , water changes are a must also .
Its not just a simple matter of just plonking fish into a pond and away you go I'm afraid .
You'll need to by a water test kit to also test the ponds water perameter's on a regular basis , we use an API pond master test kit

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Lisa!
Sorry about your situation.
It would be helpful to know the approximate size of the pond.
You can get started by taking the filters out and rinsing them off. You'll probably have to do that a number of times over the next week. Tell us also what make and model number the water pump is.
Also you'll need to purchase a new API test kit, as Dave said.
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=details&id=670#.WqUha-gbNhE
Also this one
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=587#.WqUheOgbNhE

Looking forward to some pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Lisa Eddings from another Lisa! Do post pictures! It sounds like you need to clean the pond itself, too in addition to getting those filters cleaned out. The filters being dirty is what's causing your slow water no doubt, but if you keep pumping dirty water through it's kind of a slow way to get things cleaned up. You may need to get in there with a net and start scooping things out of the bottom.

And bless your heart for helping your mom with this - she will be so happy to have this special part of your dad's life back to it's original beauty! As pond owners we all know how important our ponds are to us - you put your whole heart into it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Lisa Eddings from another Lisa! Do post pictures! It sounds like you need to clean the pond itself, too in addition to getting those filters cleaned out. The filters being dirty is what's causing your slow water no doubt, but if you keep pumping dirty water through it's kind of a slow way to get things cleaned up. You may need to get in there with a net and start scooping things out of the bottom.

And bless your heart for helping your mom with this - she will be so happy to have this special part of your dad's life back to it's original beauty! As pond owners we all know how important our ponds are to us - you put your whole heart into it.
Good morning! Thanks so much to the 3 of you got the start of something that I have a feeling is going to be a huge task for me. But, .I started this and I will see it through to the end. I know my mom will be so happy when it's back to it's original self. And yes Lisa, I know my dad would be so happy knowing his pond is going to be up and running soon. He put so much work into it, and did it all by himself, at 65 years old.
I now have a starting point, and for that I am very grateful.
I'm headed to my mom's right now and I will get a few pics together and post them. I will also give measurements.
Thanks again, so much for all your help. I will post my progress at the end of today.

You are awesome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome, @Lisa Eddings and good luck with your pond endeavors. It sounds like you have a good place to start with the advice posted before and don't give up, it'll be well worth all the work in the end!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

You might need to get a net and muck out the bottom of the pond. Gently, wear gloves, get waders or drain out as much water as possible. A flat shovel works on removing muck, just don't drive it down through the liner.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I feel very sad for you, my dad also died just last fall but I am the one with the ponds... I would take filters apart and clean everything and look at the pump as well. Not sure what kind of system your dad was running, do you remember anything about how he cared for his ponds, maybe your mother might be of help, you could also post some pictures and we all here can try to help you.
Welcome to the Club!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You might ask a plumber if there is a simple way to clear a pipe run of sediments, litter that five years might have trapped. Ive seen stubbornly blocked pipes blasted through with high pressure air compressors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Becky. You all seem so nice. I really appreciate your help. I still have to get used to the idea that I'm going to do this. It's been sitting do long it's part of the normal.
I'll be posting pics hopefully Tonite or tomorrow. Thank you again.

And thanks to all of you for the nice welcome. I think I'm going to like it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
pictures of the over all pond will help and pictures of points like stream falls skimmers pumps etc will help us help you.

Good job waiting to keep the pond going be it for you or your mom. it will keep your dad alive for you guys. I know this cause i moved my wifes "g-pa"'s pond from pa to our house in nj more for her then me even though i wanted a pond.

I hear my wife every now and then when i do something dyi to improve the pond "sammy would be proud" or " sammy would be pissed" ( sammy /g-pa being pissed is something i did simple and he couldn't figure out( but if i had my pond he had his he would do))- sammy/g-pa pissed is a good thing. met the man watch and learned from him in 5 years or more this guy has been good to me I have learned alot from him and he learned a bit from me.

When he tells me "f-u" ( ish not excat words) you got it in 5 mins been trying to do that for 4 months. I know what she means by pissed.

You came to the right place for help. we will do our best from this side of the keyboard.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-3-12_16-33-24.gif
@Lisa Eddings
Looking forward to pictures of your dads pond and hoping we can help you get this done and make it easy for you to continue to care for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. A simple net to fish out leaves, and if there are no fish, you can easily do a water change to clean out dirt and gunk that’s built up. If there are fish, have a big kiddy pool, pump clean water ( cleanish water from the top of the pond any way) then net the fish and move them over. If you have fish, you’ll need water conditioner if you are on town water.

Ask a Question